We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Origin of News

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Another daft one probably.

Switched on the news this morning and looking at the word News, I automatically thought of North.East.West and South and then thought is that where the original word news came from.

Going back thousands of years I suppose everyone was interested in all news but would everyone have known about North East West and South.

A bit like what came firs the Chicken or the Egg.

All I can say in my defense is that I must have been really bored this morning.

AitchBEE sorry if I beat you to this one.

Anyone know the answer in case it stops me from getting to sleep tonight.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Al94

Wow that was quick,maybe I should have tried Googling first.

I assumed that they were different but nice to get the facts.

I am almost sure that we used to get news either from the Radio or TV that said it was coming from the The North East South and West. But maybe I am just imagining it.Anyone remember that one or was it just me as usual.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's news as long as it's newer than yesterday's news.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Yes nothing to do with the compass points as it works out.So looks like my question has been answered so will put this one to sleep now.

Wonder what I will think of next.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

"Wonder what I will think of next"

The mind is a very powerful object, there's sure to be something coming along soon :O)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"Wonder what I will think of next"? Buteman, think of nothing, if you've got the time, and then report back here...pronto...to tell us all about it ;o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...