We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How fast do you read?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Not a trick question. Staples have a little test on their site

Speed reading test

that tests your reading (and comprehension) speed. Apparently national average is 300wpm, and as a first (and only) try I came out at 539wpm, or 18h 10m to read war and peace.

I'm not planning to do the test again though, just a one off.

WTM

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

Profound. Is that Cantona?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

dagbladet - no 'tis aitch.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

My stone skimming abilities have deteriorated over the years so much so that now my stones just bounce to the bottom with a thudunk (new word invented by me, how do I go about patenting it?)

However I have decided to have a go at this reading thing and see what transpires. All I know before I start is that I read three times faster than my partner. That's going by the length of time it takes her to get through the same book as me on a kindle. I can't understand why it takes her so long. Maybe she takes it in better than me.

Anyway here goes for this test thingy... I will report back later.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Well I seem to be the slowest so far with a wpm of 316. But that may be because as a former compositor I was probably looking for "rats" unconsciously of course.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

If I like a book,I will read from cover to cover and am able to relate the story through talking to anyone interested.If I don't like the book however,I can still read it from cover to cover(hoping forlornly that it will improve eventually)but you can ask me questions about it & I would need to find the relevant pages before answering.When the family used to holiday abroad,my parents would buy upwards of six paperbacks "to amuse us during the car journey & on wet weather days" Three days of being stuck in the car on the way out meant I'd often consume a 400+ page book per day,and the remainder on the way home leaving two weeks for fun in the sun.I resumed the habit of reading when I discovered my mobile could also double-up as an electronic book,but progress slowed as it was taking me three or four shifts (takeaway delivery driver)to finish a book,but now I'm unemployed again(car crash destroyed my car,no car,no job)I haven't found the time to read.I won't bother testing to see how fast I can read as my eyesight isn't as good as it was (particularly the computer screen) so the result IMHO wouldn't really be accurate.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

If I like a book,I will read from cover to cover and am able to relate the story through talking to anyone interested.If I don't like the book however,I can still read it from cover to cover(hoping forlornly that it will improve eventually)but you can ask me questions about it & I would need to find the relevant pages before answering.When the family used to holiday abroad,my parents would buy upwards of six paperbacks "to amuse us during the car journey & on wet weather days" Three days of being stuck in the car on the way out meant I'd often consume a 400+ page book per day,and the remainder on the way home leaving two weeks for fun in the sun.I resumed the habit of reading when I discovered my mobile could also double-up as an electronic book,but progress slowed as it was taking me three or four shifts (takeaway delivery driver)to finish a book,but now I'm unemployed again(car crash destroyed my car,no car,no job)I haven't found the time to read.I won't bother testing to see how fast I can read as my eyesight isn't as good as it was (particularly the computer screen) so the result IMHO wouldn't really be accurate.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...