We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How fast do you read?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Not a trick question. Staples have a little test on their site

Speed reading test

that tests your reading (and comprehension) speed. Apparently national average is 300wpm, and as a first (and only) try I came out at 539wpm, or 18h 10m to read war and peace.

I'm not planning to do the test again though, just a one off.

WTM

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not only comprehension but memory!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

558wpm but I have read war of the worlds before

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Slow at 450!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I should have added that I also answered all three questions correctly, even though I have never actually read the original book. But for those who have you can re take it with a different passage.

Perhaps I should also say that I followed the link from the science and tech section of the Daily Wail, where they make the (to me) valid comment about how internet usage has changed not only the way we read but how as well. I'm not going to post a link, but if anyone is interested it isn't hard to find.

WTM

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

I don't want to read any faster as my Kindle habit is already costing me a fortune.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

It's not a test to find the highest speed you can read at, "read at your natural pace".

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

491 wpm, all 3 question right. War and Peace in 19 hrs 56 mins (if I don't fall asleep ;-))

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I often wonder if the people who do these online 'tests' might be the same sort that feel the need to tell about their latest catch on the riverbank?

Personally, reading is a relaxing pleasure, so why do I need to know my reading speed (or anyone else's for that matter!)?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

311wpm first time which was harder as I didn't know what context the story was in, once I knew it was The war of the worlds it was 399wpm. I felt a way through the story line then.

25:39 hrs to read The Lord of the Rings and 7:15 hrs to read a Tale of two Cities.

That's complete rubbish 'cause it takes me about 6 weeks to do LOTRs intensively and I've never gotten past a quarter of an inch of pages with a Tale of two Cities, I can't get on with the reading style of some Dickens, and that's one of them!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If you have had a good education and 'soaked up' all of the tricky words over your lifetime, then you might be able to sail through any book like a flat-stone skims over the water....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK