We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic torch relay

Mr Mistoffelees
Resolved

Likes # 0

I thought the idea of a relay was that the baton, or in this case the torch, should be passed on from one runner to the next. I take it, from this BBC article,that around 8000 have been made to give each runner their own. What a ridiculous waste, especially as some are now selling them for a fat profit and not keeping them as a souvenir.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Mark Ormrod is indeed a special person. His website Mark Ormrod

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not everyone looks at the website (or even have a computer), and the local papers were not entirely clear. There were a number of questions about the route with people not understanding that flame would not be visible when in the bus. A number of patients from a care home were taken to the wrong place Telegraph report

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry about the double post PCA wasn't reacting (again!).

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Just make hay while the sun shines and enjoy the games for what they are! "

For hay read money!

Enjoy the games for what they are, yes, and many millions of people will get a great deal of pleasure from them, but let's not pretend they are something they're not, i.e. anything approaching the original Olympic ideal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

People who complain about the dreadful waste of money will no doubt participate in the discussions about the games that will inevitably appear in the forum. They'll watch on TV, and if they aren't on their guard they might just find themselves enjoying the proceedings.

As far as the flame is concerned - the idea (as has already been stated)is to give as many people as possible the chance to carry it and see it on its journey to the games. The torches each burn for around 10 minutes, and the 'mother flame' is always available in a vehicle, should the need for a re-light be necessary.

I think the torches look great, and from what I've read and heard they and their carriers are getting an enthusiastic reception. The flame is due to pass within 500 yards of my house at one point, and I shall be out there to see it and record the event photographically. Now that the games are finally upon us I am determined to make the most of what is shortly to take place. From what I've heard we may have cause to be proud of what we are about to do as hosts. I'm sure there will be a few wobbly moments, there always are, in whichever country the games take place, but that's not the point.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We'll find out on the night if the fat lady has laryngitis or is on sweet form.

So lets leave the pre-emptive condemnation of the Olympics until we get a failure, they might even be a triumphant success y'know.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You know what - I think we should be really proud of the world class standard of our grumpy gits...

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE, you should definitely make the best of it.

Unfortunately the whole Olympic Circus has become a massive hype, with promises made that are unrealistic and areas blighted for no good reason other than the aggrandisement of Politicians.

The Equestrian Event, which is being held in Greenwich, is a crime. The site will not recover in the lifetime of the youngest person now alive and the planners should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It's already been very successful for the people flogging their torches on the Internet. I've been looking at one being sold for £110,00.00 with still an hour to bid. I wish I had offered to walk with one now. I have been told they cost the carrier about £200.00 so the profit's not to be sneezed at. I know some of them are using the money to further the sport they participate in. (But not all of them).

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

By the way, I am just jealous of them, I wish I was capable of running the few hundred yards required, (I could walk a mile or so if necessary) as well as being able to flog the torch in aid of my favourite cancer charity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made