We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic torch relay

Mr Mistoffelees
Resolved

Likes # 0

I thought the idea of a relay was that the baton, or in this case the torch, should be passed on from one runner to the next. I take it, from this BBC article,that around 8000 have been made to give each runner their own. What a ridiculous waste, especially as some are now selling them for a fat profit and not keeping them as a souvenir.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would much rather have one of those 'batons' that the olympic relay runners use when handing over to the next runner as in the 4 X 400 metres. GB usually do quite well in that event.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They are not being given to every runner (although runner is perhaps a misnomer as you can walk with it). They can buy them (albeit at below cost price), although some have had them at no cost. It is not surprising that some then sell them.

The relay is not continuous. There are breaks when the flame is carried by bus between locations.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is perhaps worth noting that the 1948 torch bearers did get their torches for free. BBC News

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

And if anything demonstrates that the Olympics more about about making money than just taking part, this does.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Bah Humbug says Ebenezer morddwyd...

Just make hay while the sun shines and enjoy the games for what they are!

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Just make hay while the sun shines and enjoy the games for what they are!"

A total waste of money.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The torch passing through Cornwall and Devon has generated a lot on interest, a good number of spectators, good will and some community spirit. However what a number didn't realise is that it has a convoy section and a relay section. The convoy section is without runners, without the lame being visible and it travels by bus. There have been instances of people being disappointed by being at the wrong section of the route.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A Royal Marine triple amputee, Mark Ormrod, is one of the torch bearers, and he also ran in a 3,500 charity run across USA 2 years ago. This guy is an example of how great many of the young generation are, and how grateful we should be to them . Mark Ormrod

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I heard that one of the torches went out this morning. Must be a faulty one. So beware of buying one on the net as it might also be a duff one. I bet some enterprising gent is already at work reproducing a few thousand.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

BTW the flame on a torch has gone out, so it is a good job they have back up! Flameout

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'