We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

This Can't be Right

morddwyd

Likes # 0

The new leader of Fife Council doesn't even live in the county!

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/article/22850/lib-dem-cries-foul-at-news-provost-jim-leishman-lives-a-free-kick-outside-fife-boundary.html

In order to qualify he gave his address as the football club, in Fife, where he works.

Now this is perfectly legal, but surely it can't be right?

While you could stretch a point and say that councillors only need to work, not live in the county, but you'd think the leader might take up residence.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Until recently we had in my area a councillor who used to live in the area but then moved some distance away to work but still remained a councillor.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

One of our county council councillor's moved to France and attempted to do his council work from there, mostly by internet, but eventually was convinced that he should resign.

Took some doing though!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...you'd think the leader might take up residence."

I'm not sure why the fact that this man lives a few yards outside the Fife boundary would have any adverse effect on his ability to do the job, despite the Liberal Democrat leader Tim Brett questioning his morals.

It all sounds pretty petty to me.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My Chairman was leader of West Sussex County Council for some years but lived in East Sussex. Nothing new here but I think the rules at the time suggested he should live in the County he stood for.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

It all sounds pretty petty to me.

I agree with the FE,but as Local Politics often degenerates into pettyness I'm not surprised.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

I don't think the libdems should be complaining about anyone's morality with regard to elections

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'm not sure why the fact that this man lives a few yards outside the Fife boundary would have any adverse effect on his ability to do the job,"

I'm not suggesting it would. I'm quite sure many Fife Council workers live outside the county, just as I lived outside Dundee when I worked for Dundee College, but if the other county is so attractive, why not stand for office there?

The Leader of a Cabinet should live in the area the Cabinet is covering, whether that Cabinet is in Downing Street or Fife Hose. Don't think we'd accept a Prime Minister who permanently lived in France (or a First Minister who lived in England!).

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Well I dont see its about pettiness. If this person (genuinely) lived in the exact centre of the area that would be fine, but if they lived in the middle of the Australian bush it wouldnt be. So somewhere between the two must lie the boundary of acceptability, beyond which should be a no go. And if someone is just over the line then they are still over the line. Like only just speeding, or a little bit pregnant..

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"And, as you said, it is legal."

So was using taxpayers' money to clean the moat, and to buy a duck house.

That doesn't make it right though.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I find it hard to believe that anybody is seriously proposing that there's something 'wrong' about this man living a few yards the other side of a boundary line.

There are times when one sees someone struggling to find a single valid reason for raising an objection about something in the first place,and this is one of them. I suggest that you consider abandoning your leaky boat of an argument immediately, and retire with the hope we'll all forget you ever suggested that this 'can't be right'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite