We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Roaming Fee ?

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I got a meesage on my computer this evening ... Dear customer you may be charged a roaming fee... What's that all about?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I am using dial-up at the moment on another computer...the computer on which the 'roaming fee' message appeared on is very unresponsive...I am trying to fix that problem by doing a system restore. (the clock box at the boottom rh corner is reading Jan 2001! Keyboard input response is very very very slow.

I'll dig out my Harry Lauder CD...while I figure this one oot ;o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Here is some additional information which may or may not have any relevance:-

My sister uses the dongle very little at her address ( about 5 miles from me ). I borrow the dongle sometimes to use up the remainder of 1 GB monthly allowance. This borrowing has been going on over the past two years.I get billed and she pays me the monthly charge.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And all the way around the isles at Morrisons with the addition of 'The Road To The isles'...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, stoppit, please.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My 'slow' computer has been successfully restored to last week's settings...but when I plug in the virgin dongle I still get this prompt:-

'Dear customer, you are using a different network than the home Network. Please note, that this causes additional roaming fees. Do you still want to connect? Click on OK or CANCEL.

I will be visiting my sister with the dongle, so I can check it out at a different location.

BTW it's Betty's birthday today...if anyone wants to wish my sister a Happy Birthday, she will be very pleasantly surprised :o)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'll tak the high road and ye'll tak the low road... but I fear Scottish music hall melodies are stuck in mind until the end of the road to the isles is reached. They were all part of my childhood as i came from from Scottish parentage:)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Maybe best sitting doon with a wee bit of shortbread and Currant bun.Have a wee dram turn the sound up and have an early new year.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Update: The same roaming message also appears on my sister's computer.

I have also tried uninstalling / reinstalling the VM mobile modem software, it's still roaming!

Another phone call to virgin is my next step.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - thanks for the link you gave me this morning.

I have just phone up Virgin's helpline (08456 000789), but I was told by a chap with a reasuring Scottish accent, "that because of technical difficulties, please try again after 10 am tommorrow."

It'll give me more time to find Harry's greatest hits ;o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Update:- This morning, I spoke to one of virgin's technical staff (a lady with a reasuring English accent) ... she said I could ignore the 'ROAMING charge' message.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia