We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Roaming Fee ?

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I got a meesage on my computer this evening ... Dear customer you may be charged a roaming fee... What's that all about?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, that's good to know but stating a 'roaming fee' may be charged pop-up isn't good in my thinking. Surely customers should be notified of these changes? I still would not be happy by these events especially as HB has already contacted Virgin. That could be my paranoia of course :) It's kept me in good stead over the years though.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic - the roaming fee is still a mystery to me...I probably will reformat the hard drive and re-install everything. I keep back-up computers for these unforseen hiccups.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

AitchBEE before you use your image check again with Virgin as to what Lotvic stated and ask why you were not notified. I would.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

ok rdave13 ... I will phone them up tomoro.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You should only incur roaming charges if you leave the UK.

It's not just you getting the popup message, see this post on CaravanClub (in UK)

"...Orange network kicks in- Virgin says no extra cost, although my dongle comes up with a message saying that 'roaming' costs more- looking forward to my next monthly bill with trepidation in case 'roaming' does cost, even though Virgin says it doesn't"

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No more roaming to the UK then - City of Glasgow needs a new language so must be a foreign land.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

If you phone virgin up they can remove the roaming message as on other posts they are still integrating two systems & even disconnecting some transmitters where there was overlap so you may now be using a different mobile transmitter than you were - Phone Virgin up & explain your problem.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just had that Harry Lauder anthem running through my head around the park with the dog after clicking on buteman's link.

ROAMIN' IN THE GLOAMIN' wi a lassie by my side...!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Virgin piggy back on T-Mobile's network.

As T-Mobile & Orange are one & the same customer's of T-Mobile & Orange can use either companies network, automatically switching between the two without incurring roaming charges.

I'm not sure the same applies to Virgin customers using Orange network, so I'd check this out with Virgin ASAP.

btw - roaming doesn't just mean using networks abroad with a UK mobile, it also applies to UK mobiles using someone else's network in the UK.

If you need to make a call and can't get on your own network (a common problem in the countryside) you can set you phone to hop onto any available network, but you will usually be charged a pretty penny for doing so...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I would phone them today.Wait till tomorrow and you will have to listen to their music for a long time before you get an answer.

Mondays are usually a bad time to phone.

You could go on to their Forum which I have found very helpfull in the past. http://community.virginmedia.com/

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger