We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 669

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

This is A GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD postally unused so no clues on the plain divided back. click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have photos of Gib which are now old but not as old as the postcard. It has the feeling of the 1930's about it. The problem that I have is that the background looks too built up. My photo of the 1960's shows very little housing in the background. I am now moving away from it being Gib. There should be the dockyard entrance in the postcard but it is missing. Of course it may be the angle that the photo was taken from.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I cannot find a single warship in the photo and would have thought that there would be at least one if this was Gib. Is that a Norwegian ship in the foreground?

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

The flag on the stern of the ship could be Norwegian, Icelandic or belong to the Svalbard Islands (that last from Wiki). I have tried to decipher the logo on the side of the wagon in the foreground but my image manipulator isn't up the task. Looks like Rebel & Co (or some such). Anyone do better?

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

I'm none the wiser but if it helps, zooming in via ctrl and+ the logo reads to me as Redel. Can make out C or G, no &co.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

As an aside to this topic I have been trawling (intended pun) t'internet for funnel markings but haven't come across the one in the picture. I have come across this World Shipping which, if you zoom into the channel is quite amazing. There's bound to be a bump soon.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Judging from the shadows on the dockside the coast line in the background may run North, South, making it the west coast of wherever!

It looks like piles of coal and rail wagons on the centre 'quay'.

Plenty of long poles? on the ground and on the boat. For pit props?.

It is definitely REDEL & Co on the truck.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Too long for pit props.

Even the longest pit props were only about 6ft.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think it may be a Norwegian ship offloading telegraph poles

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I've just had a look at this one and the only thing that I can add, is that the jetty in the center of the picture seems to have a railway line running along it, with what appears to be fairly long trains of waggons. My efforts with Photoshop do not reveal anything that hasn't been mentioned previously. I think the ship's ensign is the Norwegian one.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

That jetty in the background looks like it's got piles of coal on it, what with the possible pit props on the dock side seems to suggest its close to a mining town. The ship looks like a coastal vessel so I'm taking a guess it might be around the Baltic sea area. The problem is the port almost certainly doesn't look that now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad