We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If you are a suspect

finerty

Likes # 0

the police may extract all your data from your mobile phone and hold onto it even if you are found not guilty.

Mobile data

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If they look at mine they will find over half of the stored numbers are for the Met police, Surrey police, Kent police, Sussex police, MOD and other such institutions and the calls would be very boring.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

wiz-king, ah, so it might be you that's been making all those anonymous calls ;-)

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well if anyone looked at my phone they would mostly find a list of foreign numbers so perhaps they might think I was a spy or one of the UNusual suspects.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was thinking of changing my identity in the same way that Sherlock Holmes did when he wanted to get a result when capturing the criminal under investigation ...even Dr. Watson was confounded and didn't have a clue when Holmes peeled off his mascara false eyelashes and woman's tights...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

AitchhBEE

Would you emerge from your disguise as ronalddonald?

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Dr Watson can't be much of a doctor if he can't tell the difference.!!

Censorship is the buzzword these days.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Irish comedian Dave Allen did a good sketch where the camara followed the top half of his body dressed as "Jack The Ripper" chasing after a young damsel, femininely attired in skirt n stockings n high-heels (the bottom half)...when the camera panned out to show Dave, he was dressed as Jack The Ripper top half and The damsel in distress he was chasing, the bottom half...a classic TV sketch.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Ive got a new question what happens under the official secrets act concerning the police and the extraction of sensitive data

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"what happens under the official secrets act concerning the police and the extraction of sensitive data"

The Official Secrets act isn't involved here. Mobile phone data would be covered by the data protection rules if it could be used to personally identify an individual, and if it was used for any purpose other than as evidence in a criminal prosecution.

The Police position would no doubt be that the data obtained from phones where no prosecution is brought will be held securely, will not be passed to a third party, and will be destroyed after a period of time. To which my response would be to ask why it's considered necessary to retain it in the first place.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Probably held as securely as all the other evidence which seems to go missing all to often. They keep telling us their budgets are being cut too much so why the need to spend lots of money needlessly keeping all this info.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia