We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's a Long Way

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just had an e-mail from my son in Australia.

Broken up with his partner, not much work (he's an actor), 50 next year and looking at a total life change, he's quite low.

Times like this you realise that if he was still in Exeter you could go down and share a pint, but it's not that easy when he's that far away!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...to Tipperary, it's a long way to go...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It seems to be the norm now to change partners 2 or 3 times in a life time.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm feeling a bit the same way, just had text from son, my grandson is off school sick and he's got to take time off work to look after him (again). If I lived nearer I could have gone and helped. It's frustrating that distance prevents that.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

morddwyd skype your son not the same as being there,but at least you can help him mentaly

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Pick up the phone and call your son. I use a TALK HOME (premium) card to make calls to my brother in Eire.It is only 5 pounds and can be bought in some phone shops. You scratch off a part of the card to reveal a pin number, then you have one month's usage.It will save you money on overseas calls.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

A Skype video chat bridges gaps, and it's surprising how much more involved you get on a video call. We do this once a year to nieces abroad, they open their presents during the call.

Skype to Skype calls are free, even for video

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...there's more info here:-

http://www.nowtelcards.com/CountryProduct.aspx?flag=Remove&id=11&langculture=en-GB,1

...the cards are good value!

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

You could try this http://www.telediscount.co.uk/accessnumbers.php it's 1p a minute to an Australian landline,I've used it before.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Have a look at www.voipdiscount.com I have used it for some years now. It costs me 5 cents for an unlimited call to anywhere in the world. I load €12 euros which gives you 120 free days then you can either load more money or use up the balance at higher rates, then reload another €12. Once you have made the call on your computer you take it on your household phone.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

morddwyd

You have my sympathies as I think I know exactly how you might be feeling. My remaining relatives live in Australia and as I am the baby of the family at 67 both are often suffering from one or two problems associated with their age. My brother had major heart surgery last year and my sister had both breasts removed and I felt helpless here as I had health problems of my own to resolve. When I return East later this year I will very quickly be making a beeline for OZ even although I know I will be 10 hours on a bus when I do get there. Phone calls are all well and can help but it is still not being there and being able to give him that important cuddle.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...