We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus E-Mail Attachement " Invertation Facebook*

Kase

Likes # 0

Has any of the forum members received this Virus or have knowledge of it?. it is a Virus that opens an olympic torch that burns the whole hard disk C of your computer. The virus is a Trojan Horse that asks you to install an Adobe Flash plug in this virus then destroys the zero sector of the hard drive. I recieved this information when a friend in France sent us an e-mail then told us to delet the mail as they had found this virus on there computer. We are told it will be recieved as coming from a facebook contact.

Kase

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

If i saw an e-mail with that particular spelling i would delete immediately.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

HOAX Message circulating on Facebook warns users not to open an attachment called 'Invitation Fb' because it will launch an 'Olympic torch' virus.

Just do a google search for: facebook virus olympic torch

The claims in the warning are utter nonsense and should not be reposted. The warning is nothing more than a Facebook driven variant of an old hoax email that has circulated since 2006.

Like this post
Kase

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic for a prompt reply I have googled as you suggested and found information on this item on Wikipedia and Naked Security Sophos. You are correct it is a Hoax but it had us concerned at the time. We did as Daz60 stated and deleted the item. I had run Norton on all our computers but did not find a virus!!. As I now know it is not a Virus, again thank for the help.

Kase

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad that's sorted, they can be worrying when you receive hoax emails. You will be able to reassure anyone who asks you now. It's a good idea to 'google' for more info whenever you receive suspect email - or phone calls... (microsoft phone scam is one that catches a few people out)

All the best :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...