We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Exactly is Pure Bred?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have just seen a TV advert for an Angus burger.

In the small print at the bottom is says, and this is a direct quote, "Angus products are made from pure bred Angus cross beef".

Now surely pure bred and cross are mutually exclusive?

Could somebody who is more familiar with the vagaries of the English language please clarify for me?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Explanation here enter link description here about Angus Cross cattle, it's a breed.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The OP is referring to Burger King - the advert has just been on.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 'ANGUS' tag, may make one think that the beef originates from Scotland...but this may not be so.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Explanation here enter link description here about Angus Cross cattle, it's a breed."

That link refers to pure bred Angus, and Angus cross.

It is also a US link where the language is sometimes used a little differently.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

morddwyd sorry my link did not satisfy your interest, basically Angus Cross are a Hereford bull and Angus heifers mix which produce better beef and it's been found that the heifers are actually more fertile.

So now they are a breed on their own.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......