We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

UK broadband users cheated on internet speeds

simonjary

Likes # 0

The Guardian is reporting that most of us are paying for a lot more broadband usage than we actually receive.

UK broadband users cheated on internet speeds Up to 60% shortfall on advertised broadband speeds

Anyone here get what they pay for?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

it sounds like you are your own worst enemy, Chegs ®™

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 1

I only get 3 Mbps as I live a long way from the exchange but with my exchange due to get FTTC in a few months time, I should be able to get 33 Mbps then so a massive improvement.

I used the following link to check and got 100% probability so it's just a matter of time.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Speeds always confuse me. Some count 1024Mbs as a GB and some 1000. At the present time, and living about 3 miles from the exchange, I am getting 35868kbps down with Plusnet extra fibre

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"UK broadband users cheated on internet speeds"

Hasn't that always been the case, especially with the infrastructure that was left to its own devises a few years ago?.

But then again, you may have others that may say that was and never as been the case, especially if they are receiving above average consumer speeds now?.

I still recall the days of dial-up, when most were told that they would not get better than that, because the system would never cope. Yet here we have, the UK government telling us that its going to be 'high-speed' broadband for 'everyone' and every home!.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Curlywhirly

Thanks for that link. My local box has been joined by a second one showing Fibre in the past few weeks. I checked and it tells me that there is 100% chance. I'll be writing to Sky to see if they can do it or if not I'm back to BT as I suffer from Circa 2-4 mbps at the moment and the thought of 10+ sounds exiting.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

There are no results for the supplied postcode

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with lousy connectivity for a lot longer.I was pinning my hopes on 4G,but this is looking the worse option the more I read as it's not going to become genuine 4G but the UK version (which can be ADSL2+,or any of several other systems with various lettering)

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Paying for more than we receive, or paying for faster speeds than we receive? I'm not sure its the same thing, though I see how it could be.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Thanks to FE (as ever!), I made the effort to call BT and inquire about its Infinity fibre broadband connection despite the fact that BT's online phone line / post code check-up said "No".

Friendly Lee at BT told me I could switch straight away. "Ho ho, the online site often does that," he chuckled - good news but not the most reassuring information from my future online provider...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Ho ho, the online site often does that" he chuckled

Is this a failure to pass on information within the ranks, or just lazy marketing. Yet at the same time ISP's spent £millions in advertising on telling the public about incentives for a better move, if you can get it?.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Scrub my optimism.

Just re-checked with BT (after my current ISP insisted my home isn't fibre ready yet) and "Phil" told me that "Lee" had been wrong.

So usual shambles...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features