We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New decision about carriers

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm still trying to work out why the latest decision to scrap cat and cap aircraft carriers has been ordered and the decision to go back to ski jump carriers is now the thing to go for.

We have scrapped any aircraft we had capable of using this type of carrier and the only ones available are American F35B.

And from what I have read these are not very good in combat against some of the planes produced by Russia.

We are supposed to in in a save money time and the ones in power seem to think that millions wasted is pocket money.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

flycatcher1 - In 1966 the Parliamentary Undersecretary of State for Defence, Christopher Mayhew, and the First Sea Lord, Sir David Luce, resigned over the cancellation of CVA01.

I think that naval view of the current situation is a reluctant acceptance. See the last article on this page the Navy Campaign.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Woolwell Of course you are correct, I missed that one, but my friend Google has refreshed my memory. Your link was interesting and helpful and led me to another link - "The Flycatchers Revival".

The continuing debate about carriers never seems to mention the support and defence ships that are required. I note that the projected CVA01 had its own dedicated ships for defence, they were cancelled as well.

I had some input with the last two crew changes for the old Ark Royal. Now that WAS a Carrier.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

flycatcher1 - Eagle was better!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Woolwell You are biased! And why not?

An RAF Nav I know did a tour with the FAA on Night Fighter Hornets. The commission was in the Med and no aircaft were lost, cannot remember the Carrier.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

No aircraft lost was highly unusual.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"we can express an opinion, I hope."

Absolutely, I didn't say otherwise. My response was to your statement - rather than opinion - that went as follows:

"Because the cretins that made the decision did not know that the carriers, as ordered, and as johndrew has said. had no catapults or arrestor gear to operate conventional aeroplanes."

I respect your right to an opinion on this (any any other) subject, and the fact that you may well know more about it than I do. Lively and thought-provoking debate is what flows from a variety of opinions. I baulked at that word, that's all.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The "Amateurs" I refer to in my post are primarily those who sit at desks in MoD, negotiate very poor contracts and have little knowledge of service needs.

I have experience of these people who can be swayed into signing up for equipment which is overpriced in some cases and ineffective/unnecessary in others. Added to this many lack the technical ability/skills to analyse how effective a design is or may be. I grant there are good people in MoD but there are also many who are not so good and it appears to be the latter who have been promoted using the "Peter Principle" over the older, more experienced.

To clarify, I am not an embittered Civil Servant, I worked in the 'poacher' group of industry and saw the waste poor decision making and technical competence allied to contracts with huge holes in action. Recent investigations have revealed some of this (in other Departments as well) but there is still much that is not disclosed. At least the current Ministerial incumbent has taken some action to curb the uncontrolled spending; hopefully he will continue his examination and provide the 'medicine' the patient has truly needed for many years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK