We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New decision about carriers

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm still trying to work out why the latest decision to scrap cat and cap aircraft carriers has been ordered and the decision to go back to ski jump carriers is now the thing to go for.

We have scrapped any aircraft we had capable of using this type of carrier and the only ones available are American F35B.

And from what I have read these are not very good in combat against some of the planes produced by Russia.

We are supposed to in in a save money time and the ones in power seem to think that millions wasted is pocket money.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I agree that the Harrier should not have been taken out of service; it was the most flexible role aircraft we had. It was also getting older and a bit expensive to maintain. They were also starting to become technologically dated against newer weapons systems/aircraft.

As you say the only available replacement for the Harrier is the F35B which is a great shame since Harrier was developed at the Hawker/Dunsfold sites, which are now closed, with the loss of a huge amount of expertise.

Although a conventional fixed wing aircraft could operate from carriers, the current design of those being built does not allow for them to do so and modification would be very expensive. Perhaps if a new generation of carriers is considered they may (at a cost) have both 'cat & trap' and 'ski jump' options incorporated in their design or perhaps be of two types - this will be a question for the politicians an MoD at the time.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"why the latest decision to scrap cat and cap aircraft carriers has been ordered and the decision to go back to ski jump carriers is now the thing to go for."

Because the cretins that made the decision did not know that the carriers, as ordered, and as johndrew has said. had no catapults or arrestor gear to operate conventional aeroplanes.

Amateurs.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"Amateurs" = desk soldiers, i.e. those who have little knowledge of the needs of the forces, how equipment is used or why and the costs of equipment and design.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I thought this thread was going to be about plastic carrier bags..

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Chief of the Defence Staff have been in turn a fast jet RAF pilot and now an Army General. Neither of whom seem to know about naval aviation and I question the quality of their advice. The carriers isn't the only part of military aviation that has had bad decisions for instance look at the current RAF transport fleet and the scrapping of the Nimrod, failure to buy the P3.

The Fleet Air Arm is likely the be in the same situation as before the second world war. People don't seem to learn.

The cynic might think that BAe also had a say in this. They are building the carriers, quoted an exorbitant price to install a catapult and arrester gear and have an interest in producing parts for the F35. If we got a proper carrier then we could buy the cheaper F18 or Rafale as interim measure but then BAe would lose business.

Without a catapult or arrestor gear then other navies (USN and French) will not be able to operate from our decks (oops deck - when it is not in maintenance or refit).

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

i thought this thread was about postal carriers, any i say bring back our own sea harrier

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

bring back into service all our harriers and build some new ones as well, instead of relying on the yanks who quite often cheat us out of our economy and everything else.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

""Amateurs" = desk soldiers, i.e. those who have little knowledge of the needs of the forces, "

"The Chief of the Defence Staff have been in turn a fast jet RAF pilot and now an Army General. Neither of whom seem to know about naval aviation and I question the quality of their advice."

I think you'll find that this was entirely a political derision, and had little to do with strategic or tactical requirements.

Having said that, the old saying still holds good - no0on ever gets promoted for saying "No"..

Regardless of the colour of the uniform, you don't get to be CDS without being known as a safe pair of hands!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

**"Because the cretins that made the decision did not know that the carriers, as ordered, and as johndrew has said. had no catapults or arrestor gear to operate conventional aeroplanes. Amateurs."**

Referring to people as 'cretins' is offensive- please don't do it.

The 'amateurs' you refer to are the chiefs of all three services, and the Chief of the defence staff, all of whom have supported the decision. It has also been supported by Bob Ainsworth, The former Labour defence secretary. He says the government has taken the right decision. It's always so easy to look back and - with the benefit of hindsight - say that this or that decision was wrong, but of course you need to view things in context.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

finerty

"bring back into service all our harriers and build some new ones as well"

The Harrier was a great aircraft, but technologically it was getting long in the tooth - modern aircraft could, in the words of one defence expert, 'run rings around it'. It's a contentious subject, and I'm certainly not qualified to argue the finer points of the Harrier issue. The decision was made, and that's that.

Referring to "yanks who quite often cheat us out of our economy and everything else." is a bit silly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

GDS opens lab for testing online government services

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September