We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Not even Summer yet but Gas Bills going up 15% in the winter.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18031209

Maybe time to shop around for the best deal.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's always time to shop around, if you can.

Where I live we don't have mains gas, so we have to use LPG from the site tank, luckily we can negotiate our own deal with BP though, and I'm currently paying 50p a litre, 15p less than our neighbours, who last week proudly claimed to have the best deal on the site. I somehow managed to suppress a smirk...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

alan14

It is time to shop around but I never know which one is the best offer.Not wanting to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire comes to mind.or is it out of the fire and into the frying pan.

I will have a good look through them all to see what I can find but not that easy pinpointing the best deals.

No doubt the Electric prices will go up as well.Why not everything else is I suppose.

I would never use a BP Garage for fuel as I find that they are always the dearest,So well done getting a cheap deal from them.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I tend to find that shopping around for the best deals for gas and electricity, is becoming a non-event, because what one major company does, the others will surely follow, even if its not needed. Except for shareholder's and director's remunerations, including supporting the possible foreign parent company?.

A few years ago, I changed from two suppliers to one supplier, so that I could claim various at the time incentives. Having recently taken up a number of issues of charging with my supplier, the mysteries get even more confusing. I have a renewable 2 year capped dual fuel price increase protection plan, yet checking I now find that I an paying 6% more for the protection, plus a higher deal rate for gas and electricity. So what I am suppose to save by this protection plan, I seem to be losing in the long run or 2 year period, because I already now pay an increased price for the products and service.

I have just been offered a new 2 year contract, but at the moment I am still trying to get my head around the figures presented before me?.

Even trying to obtain information from Aged (Age Concern/Help the Aged) and their comparison facility, is adding to the confusion!.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

So does using the Which? comparison website.

Last time I tried it told me that I could get cheaper energy if I paid by Direct Debit.

Well, yes, thank you.

I already knew that, but that's not what I was asking!

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I'm with Eon on there stay warm tarif combined gas/electric,£95 a month and it went down this year from £110. I pay them £1140 a year if i use more than that i owe them nothing likwise if i use less they owe me nothing,and no i'm not stingy with my heating or electricity carefull yes, during the last bad winters i was warm and snug heating on 24/7.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

mole44

That sounds quite a good tariff you are on.I pay £71 a month just for my gas and because I am a light sleeper I have to turn it off at night or the noise would keep me awake.

Always on the look out for the cheapest Power company.If you want to buy a new TV you just search the internet for the make and model that you want and then pick the cheapest company to buy it from.

But With gas and Electric company's I can never pinpoint the best price as it all seems to be to complicated for me.Others may find it easy but not me.

Thought that I would try the Cooperative last year and although they advertise gas alone you cannot do it through the Internet you have to phone them so gave them a miss.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I agree with spuds on this. As soon as one energy company presses the price rise button you can guarantee the others will follow. It is not a cartel as such, but sometimes it feels like that.

I am with British Gas at present and I suppose I shall go through the motions when the time comes, but it is a bit of a hassle for what my prove to be a short term benefit. In fairness to BG, when they introduced a new, cheaper package earlier this year, they contacted me straight away to let me know and switched me over to it immediately I asked them to do so.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Seems these fuel companies make their customers dance around a lot. Switch here and there and bloody every where. While you're dancing around to different suppliers, keep a yearly check on your spending regardless who you change to and I'd be very surprised if you do save anything. Remember you will always 'owe' money to the supplier you are leaving.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've got that rigmarole coming in Sept when my current fixed price deal ends. I am thoroughly fed up with the whole thing.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......