We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eye test - short sightedness

VNAM75

Likes # 0

I had an eye test today and was told I was becoming more long sighted or slightly less short sighted, to be more accurate. I've never really took an interest in my eye test readings before but for Sphere they are:

R: -2.00 and L: -2.25

Both have gone down by 0.5 since the last test 2 years ago, ie. they were -2.5 and -2.75 for R and L.

I found an old reading for a test back in 2000 and they were:

R: -2.75 and L: -3.00

So the biggest change has been over the last 2 years, although only by a small amount. If a negative reading means short sightedness, does a positive one mean long sightedness? If say my readings were 0.00 for R and L in a few years time would that mean I will be neither short nor long sighted and have perfect vision? And if this trend continued (ie. becoming less short sighted) and the readings went to say +2.00, would that mean long sightedness?

At the moment I only wear glasses for driving. Normal day to day I can get around without glasses but can't see details such as prices at a shop etc without getting close. I also find it is slightly better without glasses while on the computer as long as I'm not too far away from it. Plus, if I try to read something close up (about a 6 inches) I can only manage without the glasses. Is it natural for short sighted people to gradually become long sighted?

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I've just had an eye test and new glasses.I've been finding it increasingly difficult to read the screen and for reading say,a book I have some bifocals but have been reading without my glasses.I am short-sighted and am supposed to only use my glasses for reading,driving & watching TV(but a 42" screen fixed any need for glasses)but habit is to shove my glasses on first thing & leave them there so I don't lose them.I priced a pair of varifocals with "Transitions"(reactolite as was)tints,& decided that nearly £400 was way overpriced so got NHS freebies.I explained to the Optician I've been suffering headaches a lot and he advised I get tints but the tint is so slight as to be useless.My eyesight hasn't altered(according to the Optician)in over 34yrs,I have forgotten the actual figures(as I've slept since the test)but if my eyesight hasn't altered why am I struggling to read print?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you are struggling to read print take them back.Tell them they are no good and explain why.

If using a computer you need different glasses.Reading or long distance glasses are no good and will only give you a headache.

If you can't see prices you would be better with Varifocal lenses.That way you can drive and also see prices.

I find it extremely hard to get a decent Optician and have had to change quite a few times.

Read a book with one eye closed and the printing is Ok.Then read it again using the other eye and the printing is unreadable.Take the glasses back and the optician will tell you that,s how glasses work.

Not knowing if that is the case or whether it is just the optician covering up for his mistake or not I don't know.But you go to another optician and you get a pair of glasses that suits your needs and no problems.

If you find a decent optician stay with them.But then again they don't keep the same staff for that long so time to look again.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If using a computer you need different glasses."

Not true.

While there are some people who do need such glasses, they are very few.

In ten years of doing 1000+ annual computer work station assessments I only ever came across two people who needed them.

If such glasses are needed an optician must issue a certificate to this effect, and if the person concerned works with a computer then the employer has to pay for the specs.

Believe me, the unions are, rightly, very hot on this, and while many people in my H&S bailiwick complained through their union, not once did the unions (Unite, Unison and EIS) ever forward them formally to me, though we did discuss such things informally.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Proof of the pudding is in the eating springs to mind.

If you don't use glasses for computer work yourself how do you know it does not make any difference.

I would defy anyone to tell me it does not make a big difference from normal glasses.

No eye strain and no headaches and if you can say that using normal glasses I would be very much surprised.

If you go to the Optician for an eye test and say that you use the computer a lot he will tell you you need special glasses.And it is a different prescription from reading or long distance.

So maybe go tell all of the opticians they do not know what they are talking about and see what they say.

Sister in Law drives a fork lift truck and also has to do Computer work and the firm pays for her glasses.

Use normal reading glasses or distance glasses when using a computer apart from getting headaches you will also get a stiff neck.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

TRUE "If you go to the Optician for an eye test and say that you use the computer a lot he will tell you you need special glasses.And it is a different prescription from reading or long distance"

This is because of the focus length of the lens. ie: 12" for reading, 20" for computers (both approx depending on personal preferences) and different again for long distance/driving.

Like this post
heymin

Likes # 0

Hi, I am (very) short sighted and also have - readings, my wife is long sighted and she has + readings on her prescription. These are "spherical" measurements but we both also have astigmatism which denotes a non-spherical eye shape. My prescription has improved these past few years too and my optician mentioned something about eye shape changing as you age. I'm not too sure if this is correct (failing memory). The attached link might help.enter link description here

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Separate glasses for PC work are generally needed if using bifocals or varifocals. This is because the part of the lens to be used is at the bottom and to view a screen, which is around eye level, then the head has to be raised causing neck problems over time. Also reading glasses are a little too powerful, resulting in leaning forward with consequences for the back.

As one gets older it is probable that one suffers from presbyopia, the inability to accommodate fully or rapidly. I suspect that using varifocals could exacerbate this because the lens spends most of the time at one power, reying on the glasses for accommodation, with the result that the muscles are not exercised.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If you don't use glasses for computer work yourself how do you know it does not make any difference."

Because it was a large part of my job for ten years.

A Display Screen Equipment (DSE) ........... ‘user’ is “an employee who habitually uses [DSE]as a significant part of his [or her] normal work.”

If most or all of the following criteria are met, the employee is a ‘user’:

• DSE is necessary for the job, as alternative means are not readily available; • there is no choice over the use of DSE; • significant training and/or specific skills in the use of the DSE are required; • the employee normally uses DSE for continuous spells of an hour or more at a time; • DSE is used more or less dai.”

DSE does not just include computer screens, but also such things as microfiche users, and television.

Those criteria apply to the vast majority of white collar workers and a large proportion of brown collar workers well, and will even include such blue collar work as computer controlled metal cutting and working or warehouse operations.

Very few of these qualify for free glasses under the law.

I suggest you visit your local friendly optician and ask them how many certificates they issue in the course of a year, For most of the ones I used to work with it was rarely in three figures.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In the days when I just needed reading glasses (Now have varifocals) and before I retired, I worked in the Netherlands and had a 4 screen work station (Touch screen phone; mainframe display; PC display; Reuters screen) with one keyboard. I sat about 50cm from the screens, and my company paid for varifocal reading glasses that when you read a book - closish, the lower bit was set for that and the upper bit focused at about 50 - 60 cm. Now, at home I don't bother as I have a small distance correction in the upper part.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I too am longsighted in one eye so started wearing glasses some 20 years ago mainly for reading. As a new glasses owner I of course kept forgetting to bring them with me or even losing them on regular occasions. Over the years my eyes have naturally got slightly worse and every 2 years or so it is not unusual to need a new prescription.

My optician asked me how I used my eyes and from a detailed account he suggested variofocals which I could wear all the time and which would be made so that my reading and computer working would be taken care of. As I also live in bright climates for part of the year I also went for the transition lenses which he recommended so I didn't need seperate sun glasses. I have also had a similar pair made in Thailand at a much cheaper cost and I must say I am entirely happy with the outcome. Now I just need my hearing sorted out next month and I will feel like a poor version of the bionic man :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...