We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Insurers to take tough stance on 3 point motor offences

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Some car insurers are now withdrawing cover for drivers caught using a mobile phone, even if it is a first offence. Other insurers will hike up their premiums for this and other three point offences. Further details of their intentions are here

I'm very much in favour of the insurers' action on this. Does anyone else agree? TC.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

So perhaps the extra £20 I forked out for a speed awareness course to keep my licence clean will save my premium from going up? For the past 3 years every time it has come up for renewal by existing Insurer has tried to up me by an average of 20-30%. I immediately go on a price comparison site and each time I have come up with an alternative which was even cheaper than my old original premium. When I phone to tell my insurer I am not re-insuring with them they always seem shocked that I would move. Long may this go on as clearly there is no benefit in company loyalty these days.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Where will it all end, because it seems as though the law and the insurance companies do not have a clear answer, especially for those that obey the law and are loyal to one insurance company.

Uninsured or those without required document driver's are not going to care one jot about this. To some of them it will be another badge of honour to have been caught out.

I live not far from an intersection of motorways, and witnessing some of the events that take place on a daily basis. makes you think who is in control of our roads.

Over recent months, we have had a number of court cases that people doing 39mph in a 30mph zone have been heavily fined with points added. And it is usually the case that the people involved are first offender's (having just been caught?), yet the ones who appear to have various other motoring convictions just take all this in their stride.

And as for the heavier vehicle driver's, some are as bad if not worse that the ordinary motor user. Only the other week, I saw one driver, with a foreign registration vehicle, looking as though he had a DVD unit on his dash, which he was looking at, and to top it all, a canned drink in his hand. Possibly a disaster ready to happen, or perhaps his possible vast (wont happen to me) experience tells him otherwise?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Long may this go on as clearly there is no benefit in company loyalty these day

I have always researched a much cheaper price than my renewal quote.I have also asked my present insurer why I can always get insured cheaper elsewhere,and there appears to be a stock answer of "Your getting a cheaper rate to attract your custom" to which I always ask why can they not give me my renewal for the same price(I've even been quoted less than my renewal by the same company,simply by telling them I won't pay the renewal & then gone back to them as a "new" customer)This is where the insurance salesperson falters before having to ask their boss,I already knew the answer (the insurance company cannot make as large a profit if they sold policies to all at very low rates)but I chuckle at some of the ludicrous reasons I'm given.My partner is a learner driver,I attempted to reduce my premium by getting her taken off the policy only to be told that my premium would actually rise if I did as I wouldn't then qualify for the "named driver discount"The law says we must be insured & the insurance companys use this to fleece us royally.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The other week the BBC Watchdog program brought up customer loyalty and motor vehicle insurance. Its perhaps surprising that the explanation from the trade was the usual remark that the customer gets value. Anne Robinson had to point out that the loyal customer's were not getting value for money, but the trade seemed to think otherwise?.

Some of the people who took part in the program, were stated how their premiums had increased rapidly from the previous year, and how that tried to take the issues up with their insurance company's, to little avail, until they threatened to leave or actually transferred to another company, who may have been in the same insurance group of company's?.

Funny old world isn't it?.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Last year I lived on a street in Rochdale where there'd been 69 reported crimes in a single month according to the police statistics site.

My insurance premium was £369 a year

This year I live in a small town where there have been less than 30 reported crimes in the last 6 months in the whole town. I also have CCTV on my house (I might as well, I work in the trade).

Tesco tried to put my insurance up to £580.

I got a quote for better cover from Kwik Fit for £350, when I contacted Tesco they could only manage to their quote to £485, so I told them where to go.

I've got 12 years no claims, and can see no earthly reason why my premium should rise so steeply. All I can think of is that the day my premium was calculated they decided not to insure red Minis...

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

Driving home this afternoon, a police vehicle with a samll camera was parker on the side of the road. My wife said they could not be trying to catch drivers speeding as it was just past a road junction with a small traffic island and a bend on a railway bridge. Further down where the road widens, there were several police with one lane cordoned off. Obviously looking for uninsured or untaxed vehicles. Coming off one of the motorway junctions there is a sign which says ANR cameras are in use

Like this post  
bob.

Likes # 0

What a good idea. Using a phone whilst driving is downright dangerous.

I know of 2 drivers who have caused serious accidents while using a handheld phone. One was driving a mini bus and nearly killed several old age pensioners. He was banned from driving for 5 years and told he would never hold a PSV licence again. The other drove into the rear of a stationary car at traffic lights.

On both occasions the police confiscated the mobile phones and could prove they were being used at the time of the accident.

Let the word get around that you can not get insurance or pay through the nose if you get caught.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

TopCat® / bob

Very much in agreement with your sentiments, my only worry would be a potential increase in the number of uninsured drivers on the roads. With a current national average of uninsured at 5% of drivers whilst some areas, e.g. Birmingham and Bradford at 7 times that figure, together costing the rest of us around £500 million a year I would like to think there is a better solution.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's something that rightly needs clamping down on hard, we now have a generation that thinks it's OK to phone & drive, that's bringing another generation up seeing it as being perfectly OK to phone & drive.

And phoning whilst in control of a perambulator whilst crossing the road should be an instant public flogging offence!

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

First thin's first: I'm don't think that driving while using a phone is safe. Quite the opposite.

But....if it is so dangerous, then why is it 'only' a 3 point offence?

That aside, I don't agree with insurance companies massively upping premiums for a single 3 point offences. As csqwared has pointed out, the risk is that we just end up with more uninsured drivers on the road.

If driving using a phone is so dangerous then it needs a penalty that reflects it (say, mandatory 12 moth ban + points - similar to drink driving). If it is not that dangerous then it should be treated as such.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...