We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Insurers to take tough stance on 3 point motor offences

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Some car insurers are now withdrawing cover for drivers caught using a mobile phone, even if it is a first offence. Other insurers will hike up their premiums for this and other three point offences. Further details of their intentions are here

I'm very much in favour of the insurers' action on this. Does anyone else agree? TC.

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

What a good idea. Using a phone whilst driving is downright dangerous.

I know of 2 drivers who have caused serious accidents while using a handheld phone. One was driving a mini bus and nearly killed several old age pensioners. He was banned from driving for 5 years and told he would never hold a PSV licence again. The other drove into the rear of a stationary car at traffic lights.

On both occasions the police confiscated the mobile phones and could prove they were being used at the time of the accident.

Let the word get around that you can not get insurance or pay through the nose if you get caught.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

TopCat® / bob

Very much in agreement with your sentiments, my only worry would be a potential increase in the number of uninsured drivers on the roads. With a current national average of uninsured at 5% of drivers whilst some areas, e.g. Birmingham and Bradford at 7 times that figure, together costing the rest of us around £500 million a year I would like to think there is a better solution.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's something that rightly needs clamping down on hard, we now have a generation that thinks it's OK to phone & drive, that's bringing another generation up seeing it as being perfectly OK to phone & drive.

And phoning whilst in control of a perambulator whilst crossing the road should be an instant public flogging offence!

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

First thin's first: I'm don't think that driving while using a phone is safe. Quite the opposite.

But....if it is so dangerous, then why is it 'only' a 3 point offence?

That aside, I don't agree with insurance companies massively upping premiums for a single 3 point offences. As csqwared has pointed out, the risk is that we just end up with more uninsured drivers on the road.

If driving using a phone is so dangerous then it needs a penalty that reflects it (say, mandatory 12 moth ban + points - similar to drink driving). If it is not that dangerous then it should be treated as such.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Oh dear, typo's a plenty in my last post :(

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Insurers already charge high premiums to lots of drivers with no really obvious reason.I can see no reason why my own premium varies widely year after year(although I've now collected 6 points for an IN10 offence which has pushed my premium almost out of financial reach,a simple oversight by me was the cause))I had a clean licence,the maximum no claims discount(which can also vary from company to company,some offer upto 12yrs,another will only go to 6yrs)didn't drive high milages,was old(er) yet my premium could vary by nearly £1200.I've also just discovered that my present insurance(which I no longer need as my car was written off in an accident recently)premium was paid by a finance company and although I've cancelled my policy,I still have to pay the finance company the full amount so I've no insurance policy,no car to earn the payments to the finance company and even if I had a car,cannot get insurance for it until the latest accident is fully sorted out.As has already been stated,hiking up the premiums for just 3 points will mean the police are going to be very busy impounding vehicles for no insurance offences.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

bob.. Absolutely correct that a PSV holder should lose his/her licence for using a mobile whilst driving,or in one case stopping to answer a phone while in service, i might add that in the industry now zero tolerance is applied across the board and has been for a while so there are no excuses.

OTT or what

not a reference to the forum member i hastily add.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

MY car was almost written off written off by a driver using the phone.

Whilst in standing traffic, waiting for a driver four cars in front to turn right, I could see a car in my rear view mirror coming up hell for leather, just before he hit me I distinctly saw him drop something out of his left hand.

He rear ended me so badly that all four cars in front were damage, the one in the front was written off as it was pushed into oncoming traffic.

Amazingly, my car was repairable, even though it had front & rear damage.

He'd clearly been using the phone, but this was before it was an offence, and he knew he was in the wrong, so before the dust had settled we all had his insurance details...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Probably just another Con by the insurance company's.It is going to affect anyone that gets points on their license for any reason.If it was for only using a mobile phone I would agree.

No doubt all the Insurance company's will put their premiums up by the same amount.

It is not that long ago that some Insurance company's were reported for Price Fixing and this looks like their way round it.

Police drug testing for drivers will come into force shortly if it has not already happened.Now that should be interesting to see how many drivers get banned for that.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Most of the drivers I have seen with a phone to their ear whilst on the move, seem to be driving vehicles which I could only describe as belonging to "Cowboy Builders".

Then again, as a passenger in a coach on the motorways, I have seen too many heavy lorry drivers with phones glued to their ears. I think a policeman could have a field day if he gave up his car and travelled on a coach for a few hours. As hands free systems are so freely available these days why can't they have them. I've got one for emergency use only. It is easy to use and I don't think that is much more dangerous than listening to music on the car radio.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks