We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The French Presedential Elections

zzzz999

Likes # 0

Amazing scenes coming from France.

But is this the cat amongst the pigeons or a fresh new start and way of thinking Europe needs?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Vive La Differance! The French people want a change and who could blame them?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Interesting times.

Regardless of our own feelings, and general Franco-phobia, The French President is important to Europe and therefore to us.

Although he has already telephoned him, Cameron has subbed him in the past

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107636/David-Cameron-snub-Nicolas-Sarkozys-main-rival-arrives-London.html

That could cost him (and us) dear.

I personally thought Sarkozy was one of the ablest politicians in Europe, and the best one France has produced since Le Grand Charles.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

It's a breadth of fresh air and a new approach hopefully. I think Europe is about to change, hopefully. The French have always been more politically minded than us and is to be admired for that. Hollande has attracted a lot of the young looking for a better and fairer future. I wish him and the French well and of course it'll affect us here in the UK.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"The worry has to be what will happen with a leader with no previous ministerial experience who is long on policy but short on pragmatism."

Has a familiar ring in UK (Applies to both parties.)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"The worry has to be what will happen with a leader with no previous ministerial experience who is long on policy but short on pragmatism."

Completely agree, and he will find it not too easy to follow all his own ideas for growth when he will need to keep one eye on the 'finance marketmen', lurking on his shoulder.

He may also hope to 'bend' Merkel, but I think she may be a match for him!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I heard the new French President, Francois Hollande, speak on the radio today, ... he has got a very good command of the English language ... that must make him an anglophile, surely?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"he has got a very good command of the English language ... that must make him an anglophile, surely?"

So has Robert Mugabe

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

could france now have their own obarma or brown?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"She, after all, more or less campaigned for Sarkozy."

Yes but she didn't refuse to meet him (Hollande) when he was a guest in her country.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Well, Obama has been consistently blocked by Congress with a Republican majority. That's one of the main reason he has not been able to implement some of his policies and compromising on others,a bit like our coalition really.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks