We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help settle an argument

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, There's a discussion going on in my house regarding if cold water passes through you quicker then hot water,I say it does,but have been told there's no difference. Can you he please. Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Some info here. Looks like warm water is better for hydration so it could mean that cold water would pass through quicker as less is absorbed efficiently?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I've only got to dip my hands in cold water and it starts passing through me!!!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I say it does,but have been told there's no difference."

Like lots of questions, the answer to this isn't as straightforward as you might think. In short, cold water is absorbed faster than water at room temperature, and it will rehydrate you faster.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

From my link, Cold water is not as good for hydration as room temperature. The theory is that the cold water causes the blood vessels surrounding stomach to shrink, slowing absorption So who is right FE?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

In most modern big city pubs you have a choice of 'normal' or 'ice cold' lagers...I usually select 'ice cold' on hot summer days and 'normal' on cold winter evenings...on days when we have 4 seasons in one day...I have a cup of coffee ;o]

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Mostly sober then.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

frybluff - indubitably. I hope we get a long hot summer this year, though!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

Who is right? I don't know, which is why I said the answer isn't straightforward.

What I do know is that The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that all drinks used during exercise be chilled. Research has shown that chilled water passes through the stomach much more quickly than drinks consumed at room temperature, and cold water rehydrates you quicker after strenuous exercise.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

After a little search it seams that cold water does pass through the body quicker CLICK HERE

Knowing my luck I'll find another link that says the opposite.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's a good answer but leaves me puzzled. If chilled water passes through the stomach faster than room, or ambient temperature, water then the stomach surely digests, or absorbs, less of it to hydrate the body and then the kidneys and liver removes it in a purer form or water rather than urine?

Just a thought.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...