We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Broadband

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Broadband speeds are something that keeps getting mentioned this being a tech site and all that.

I just got an email from Virgin telling me that my speed has gone up from 10mb to 20 mb, that's not bad for something that I originally subscribed to at less than a 1mb service and have never asked to have a voluntary pay extra upgrade. 10 years ago, I would never have envisaged that I would get 20mb in a basic speed package.

I must be one of their more pleased customers.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

In the area I live, there are already BT fibre optic boxes, but BT cannot confirm when or if any of their subscriber's will receive this option in the very near or later years?.

At present it would appear that its a case of 'what you have, is what you will get'?.

With this special government broadband funding, I see that my local council have been informed that they have 'won' a part of this funding. Apparently, the council are deciding to install more wi-fi hotspots around the town centre. So it would seem "getting out to the masses" or remoter areas might not apply?.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Just by comparison, I'm also a happy customer - but copper not cable.

I subscribe to TalkTalk's "up to" 8meg service (more than enough for my needs) and until 2 or 3 weeks ago was averaging 6.5 meg (at all times of the day) on my 10+ year old Dell XP PC.

I now have a sparkly new Win 7 Dell machine and I'm now averaging 6.9 meg.

Well done TalkTalk.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I had a problem a while ago so I joined the Virgin forums and was told to access modem and copy and paste the results. One of the team got back to me and said that one of the voltages was too high and they booked an engineer after which the problem was solved, I have 20meg and using speedtest.net I always get in the hight 19's and sometimes just under 21.

Virgin Forums

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Had phone call from Virgin about my comment that "trebling" my broadband had, actually, only raised it from 18Mb/s to 20Mb/s. Their comment was "Well, it is free".

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I must say I feel sorry for the way Octal was treated by Virgin. To hang on to promises for a year was admirable but the service was diabolical. Reminds me of my AOL days. Only this year has Talk Talk had their own equipment installed in my exchange so that is a step forward in our 'backwater' area. No one else bothers as we're obviously not worth the investment for any upgrade. It's taken eight and a half years for my area to go from dial-up to the 6 meg I get today. Took less time for men to go to the moon. Internet still costs more as LLU is still scarce. So well done Plusnet/BT for taking about a month to get me a decent speed by changing my connection in the exchange to a lower contention connection. I think fibre optic cables will be installed long before the mighty private cable companies even start thinking of supplying rural areas.

What is 20 meg?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Done 2 mins ago

Speedtest

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Done just now,

Speedtest.

Second test,

Tbb test

Never had such good speed results.

Strawballs, of course i'm a tad jealous but only just :((

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance