We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Broadband

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Broadband speeds are something that keeps getting mentioned this being a tech site and all that.

I just got an email from Virgin telling me that my speed has gone up from 10mb to 20 mb, that's not bad for something that I originally subscribed to at less than a 1mb service and have never asked to have a voluntary pay extra upgrade. 10 years ago, I would never have envisaged that I would get 20mb in a basic speed package.

I must be one of their more pleased customers.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

frybluff, that's not good at all, I'm not trying to be clever but have you rebooted your router? And also I found the power levels on the router settings to be quite critical, I also found a kinked coax from the wall socket to the router caused speed problems a while back. If you don't get any success have you tried the Virgin forums though you shouldn’t really have to?

http://community.virginmedia.com/

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/

http://www.virginmediapeople.com/nps/

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Input overload

Yes. Checked for anything obvious and re-booted. Re-done speed test, a couple of times. Did get one at 24. Knowing Virgin, I suppose someone may have "jumped the gun", with their "We HAVE..", so will try over next few days, to see if it suddenly jumps. They must have done something, though, or I presume my speed checker wouldn't have changed scales.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I assumed you had checked everything, my son was recently 'upgraded' & it did take a day or so for things to change but from my reading virgin is a bit of a postcode lottery.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

What I don't understand is that, whilst the network may be fibreoptic, the connection, over some length, into our property, is, I presume, copper, and has not been changed. I would have thought it needed to be, to get anywhere near 60 Mb/s.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Virgin so far is fibre to cabinet & where the cabinet is can have an effect on speed, the cabinet I'm on is only maybe 20 yards from my router though I was told by a virgin engineer they can get up to (theoretically at that time) 250MegBit down through fibre/coax.

BT also I believe are using copper from the cabinet, which can be much further via copper than the virgin copper link. The future really is fibre to premises which I suppose can have almost unlimited speeds, though the bandwidth the ISP has or contention will be the limiting factor which maybe is your problem.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

BTW I get 104MegBit down most of the time, though I'm supposed to be going to 120 without any changes to my gear at home, eventually. I gave virgin a bit of grief on 150 the other week & got £13.90 a month off my bill as I was going to move to BT, it took a while & I did extend my contract but I got what I wanted.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

BT infinity are rolling out, in our area, at the end of the year. I certainly intend to use that as a "bargaining chip". At the moment, Virgin have a monopoly here, for bundled services. and they know it. Can't have Sky dish, due to covenant.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

'Can't have Sky dish, due to covenant' ~ Without being dishonest VM don't know that ;-)

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I must be lucky as i'm with Virgin in the LU4,just upgraded to 20Mbps with the superhub brilliant had a small clitch with connection,phoned India a lovely lady told me how to alter setup on channels and download maximum job sorted.I get full upload speed and download speed 24/7, as an aside i think Virgin will be having the following teirs 30/60/120 as standard in the coming year 2013.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=E08DEA6E-1FD7-4994-9D52-AD165F907BCE - BT News

'BT is also set to make fibre-to-the-premises broadband available on demand in all fibre enabled areas from Spring 2013 thereby ensuring homes and businesses can benefit from speeds of 300Mbps and above and potentially a lot more in the future. '

Still looks a bit grim if you are living out of town though I think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...