We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Broadband

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Broadband speeds are something that keeps getting mentioned this being a tech site and all that.

I just got an email from Virgin telling me that my speed has gone up from 10mb to 20 mb, that's not bad for something that I originally subscribed to at less than a 1mb service and have never asked to have a voluntary pay extra upgrade. 10 years ago, I would never have envisaged that I would get 20mb in a basic speed package.

I must be one of their more pleased customers.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Virgin must be getting generous. They used to only supply the Superhub, for free, with 30+ speeds.

I'm on 20, but was lucky, as, when my old router packed up, the engineer only had a Superhub in his van. Even then, he had to phone his office, for permission to fit it. Much better bit of kit, than their usual cheepo's.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Appalling service Octal.No wonder you are fed up with them.

I can honestly say I have had no problems that they have not fixed in a reasonable time.

My Speeds are always good + their service is good looks like you just stay in the wrong area.

I think I would have packed up and went elsewhere a long time ago.

They did say between February and July so maybe best sticking it out till then to see if they get it fixed.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Buteman, thanks for the empathy. I think what's got to me is the fact that they acknowledged they had a problem and reduced me payments accordingly which was fine, now some egit has deemed to put my payments back to normal and now they aren't talking to me, either by email or on the forum, I have posted again to see if I can get a response, not that I hold out much hope now I've made it clear they are not going to figure in my future plans.

I don't what I'm going to do if I move to an area which is only served by VM, eat humble pie I suppose :)

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Virgin must be getting generous. They used to only supply the Superhub, for free, with 30+ speeds.

Presumably as they are upgrading the service and not because you have requested it they are obliged to upgrade whatever equipment is necessary at their expense.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Slightly off thread, but as Virgin had been giving our upgrade date as "July onwards", whatever that means, I thought I'd log into my account, to see if that had been updated.

I was greeted with a "good news" message that my speed is being increased from 20 to 60. Click here to confirm. Fills in my name , account no. etc. Then get a message. "Thanks for your order. If you've not already been given a price for your upgrade, it will be confirmed in next 5 days". That was followed by, a couple of SECONDS later by "as we've not detected any recent activity, you've been timed out". Just about typical Virgin. I hope it's not one of their cons, but, in case, sent them email, saying, "if you think I'm paying for this free upgrade, you can stick it!!"

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

I got the email a month or so ago, it's not been speeded up yet but they have put the prices up already for the TV, Broadband and Telephone. Their customer service advisors give BT (not the guy on this forum) a run for their money in how not to do the simple things well.

There is a store in Newcastle city centre with a sales /customer advisor in there with probably the biggest " Can't be arsed "attitude I have ever come across.

I was considering taking up the Tivo service from Virgin and wanted to speak to someone face to face. He saved me some cash with his attitude. Branson would be better off spending some money on training his staff on how to be courteous to customers, rather than lining the pockets of the guy from Doctor Who and Usain Bolt in my humble opinion.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Of course we'll take what's on offer if it's free, but I have to admit that 2mb is still plenty of bandwith for my uses.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Personally, I have no real need for an increased download speed. I presume, though, that upload speed will also increase, proportionately. That WILL be a benefit. I don't know if there is a technical reason for upload to be limited to 10% of download, but if that trebles, like download, I'll be happy.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

PS

With reference to my earlier post, about sending Virgin an email, got a reply, saying:

"As you already have an account, we cannot respond to your enquiry, if you log into your account, you may find an answer in FAQ's"

Really helpful. Why not, at least "We've passed your enquiry to ..." The original message was to "upgrades". Who else?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Had email, from Virgin, last night. "We've not just doubled your speed we've trebled it, from 20Mb/s to 60Mb/s".

I rushed, excitedly, to speedchecker, to see what my old 17 or 18 meg, had actually gone up to. Before the test, the scale changed, from its usual 0-30Mb/s, to 0-100Mb/s. I got even more excited. Then it did the test ....

20.3 Mb/s. I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry, or just chalk up another one to dear old Virgin. Upload had gone from usual 1.6 to 2.5, so I suppose I should be grateful for that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers