We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The ears have it!!!

canarieslover
Resolved

Likes # 0

I can remember being able to detect a For - Next loop running in a Spectrum program just by the noise generated by the motherboard. Apparently it is still possible to detect what a modern computer is doing by the noise generated, among other variations. My hearing must have degenerated since my Spectrum days as all I can hear are the fans and the occasional noise from the hard drive. What is your computer telling others?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Superman's heroic powers waned when he was exposed to GREEN KRYPTONITE...everybody who goes/go online similarly lose their privacy (powers), and are fair game for criminal and malicious attacks.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

The only sound that troubles me is the noise of a PC system closing down when you haven't switched anything off.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

As a fellow Glaswegian you have even lost me on this one! One of us has had to much bevvy tonight and I don't think it is me hic :-))

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Condom - my Superman analogy was an attempt to illustrate the intangible nature of the 'workings' of the Internet and the incomprehensiveness of the workings of modern-day devices to the layman.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Wonderful, that explains everything which is now as clear as mud to me :-))

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'd love to see a hacker gain anything from listening to my other desktop,it sounds like a hovercraft when running games as all the fans drown out conversation they're so loud...& every few minutes there's a loud click which appears to be the hard drive failing as its taken it over 3hrs to download/install updates & has been telling me its shutting down(restart required after Win 7 updates to clean install)for the last hour.

Like this post  
finerty

Likes # 0

the noise n my pc is when it alarms if its overheating, that i must take action

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I used be able to tell if my modem was going to connect successfully by the noises it made

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

That the graphics card fan bearing is shot!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

canarieslover...I hope you don't mind me plugging a Radio4 programmme on at 16:30 this afternoon 'Material World' - it's about sounds that make people cringe...you might say it's ... an ear-plug.

ps. I wonder if the sound of a faulty hard-disk grinding away is in their Top Twenty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow