We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Right to decide

daz60

Likes # 0

right to choose

We, all, are subject to the Human Rights law,whether we agree or not to decisions made,this man has chosen by virtue of his condition to take the ultimate decision and affirm *HIS * right to choose.

Given this precedent should it now become law.

Personally if i can make a "living" will then i should also, whilst i am capable of doing so ,make provision that should my condition reach a certain stage i can die.

Morality aside should my decision be final.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The father of two — identified only as XB — decided together with his wife "

That's the crux of the problem.

How much was the decision influenced by those around him?

In this case probably his decision and his alone, but how can we, society, always be sure this is the case?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"..the tube which has kept him alive for eight years"

Is there anything more profoundly disturbing than that statement?

Personally, the thought of it sends shivers up my spine - eight years!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes we should all have that right when the time comes.

I think most of us have had to watch terminally ill family and friends suffering to the end.I think it is time they let the individual or the Family choose what they would like done instead of the suffering.

Even the family pets have those rights.The vet will tell you It is not right to see your pet suffer this way so it is put down.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

morddwydd...excellent point...buteman...interesting analogy.

mordwdydd,...surely if you make a decision at the outset of a terminal illness then no other influence can apply.I understand the need to ask loved ones opinion on the subject but surely your interests in view of circumstance is more relevant.

I fully recognise that in some cases a partial recovery has been made,from whatever ailment,but if i decide at the outset that i should be allowed,as buteman says,then that is my right and the STATE,which alone reserves for itsellf the right should not interfere.

buteman,interesting analogy but i wish my Darkie had the ability to convey his wishes.

spider9...yes it shends shivers up mine also.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Very shortly now, I am going to have to make the ultimate decision about my beloved German Shepherd who has been with me for the past 12 glorious years.

Should I not have that same right for myself when I feel that I have had enough? Should my family not have that same right when they feel it is my time to go instead of continual suffering?

I firmly believe that we should.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Should my family not have that same right when they feel it is my time to go instead of continual suffering?"

There lies the rub, as they say. Allowing family members to make a decision to end the life of a loved one is fraught with problems - who in the family has the final say, and what if others in the family disagree?

I'm very much in favour of self determination - the right of each person to decide under which specific circumstances he or she would no longer want to carry on living. That's not a difficult situation to legislate for; you sign a document when you are of sound mind, and thus able to make a rational decision. It's witnessed in the normal way, and is binding on the medical profession and your own family members when/if your illness or disability reaches the point at which you have previously indicated you would want your life to terminate. It's you making a deferred decision, and your loved ones must comply.

What we don't want is family members ever having the right to make a life or death decision on your behalf. That would be tantamount to granting a licence to kill.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

The one thing which i can think of that would alter the situation within a binding agreement is if the person changed their mind.

If at some point having signed a legal document the person in some way desires to live,even if that person stated this wish by the blink of an eye, then that document becomes invalid.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I find these apparent constant cases rather concerning, as to whether or how a decision should be made on an obvious serious medical condition.

How many times do you hear about the 'Do not resuscitate' decision made in hospital's and perhaps similar establishment's, something that is most probably occuring every working day perhaps. There doesn't appear to be headline news about that. It usually comes down to a decision 'the system or establishment' as made?.

Only last week, a couple we know had to make the decision to turn off the life support machine of their 12 year old son. They knew this day would come, because their son had a present day incurable brain disease or illness called Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD). The worse possible thing for this family is that they have two other son's, who are being monitored, because they also have the same disease, presently in a lesser form. Apparently, this disease only effects boys, so their youngest child, a girl, should be safe.

The amount of support from friend's and neighbour's, including the medical teams have been great, and the parent's of the boy as expressed this, in no uncertain terms. They didn't want to lose the child, but on the day of decision making, they stated that it was the right and only thing to do!.

I myself personally approve of a 'living will', because I believe that is the correct way forward, and I am not talking about mass euthanasia of the sick or old. But from a person capable of making their very own decision, when or before the time arises. Being in sound mind, but perhaps not body, might even make that decision more easy?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

daz60

Your post at 12.17AM today, possibly brings reality to the decision making process. There are a number of cases, were medical assessments have perhaps come up with a wrong decision about continuing a life, especially in children shortly after born.

There have also been cases, and one very recently, when a decision of turning off a life support machine was being considered as correct by the medical profession, yet the person's family 'saw a flicker of light or hand squeeze' that changed everything.

It can and will remain, only a personal decision at the very end, whether an innocent or guilty verdict is brought in, and a life is lost or revived. And one day, that decision will happen?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Everytime I've expressed my wish not to be resuscitated to my immediate family,they have expressed utter shock so I would like to see living wills become common-practise rather than have to endure a lengthy legal process where a judge might over-rule my wishes.Were I to be made aware by a Dr that I had a terminal illness,that could mean years of hell then long before the illness debilitated me I'd end my own life.Apparently,suicide is illegal in the UK but I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite