We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

local elections

BSOD
Resolved

Likes # 0

Do you have local elections in your area on Thursday?

Will you be voting or cannot be bothered.

The wife and I will be popping down to stick an X on the forms.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I will be voting. I am also an active e-mailer to my local parish council and the local and county council usually reporting rubbish dumped in the local lanes. I have the email addresses of all the utilities stored in my address book for reporting gas leaks etc - if I don't report thing they hang around for ages, most of the reports get a polite answer very quickly. I don't have time - full time job and two horses - to do any work for the councils but think I do my bit by email.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

That's possibly the point that I was making. Any individual who is working for the community requires peoples support, and that includes party support.

There's nothing like trying to go it alone, then finding your party membership is becoming the biggest bug bear. Hence my remark, about some of my local councillor's have had to go Independent or place their allegiance with another political party.

All to often with my local council, we hear about in-party divides and favouritism, plus 'bending of rules', and the local newspaper makes a meal of this, because it shows what real politics are all about. Then the politicians and their party's ask why the public do not show interest!.

Not all that long ago, we had the expenses scandal, which led into shock and horror for the nation. Yet still today, we the public are still seeing some of the old dust being swept from under the carpet, possibly revealing further 'hidden' scandals. Yet at the same time, we the public and the press are being told 'lessons will be learned'.

They never are, and never will be, unless some very radical changes are made. And for sure they most certainly will never be in my lifetime!.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

You vote for parties, not individuals.

Who you vote for makes a difference, often, to the way your local council and services are run, distributed etc. Its odd to me that some usually quite bright folk don't get that.

I'll be voting, and I'll be voting for the only party I will ever (in all probability) vote for.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Interesting points that you have raised. As I said earlier, I have no allegiance to any party, because to me they are all the same, mainly in it for themselves.

If and when I make my vote, whether that is for a local or national election, I tend to vote for the person who I consider would be most helpful to my community. If they win (which they usually do, so they might be very good speech makers), then decide to ignore the public, then you can be very sure I will soon be knocking on their door or taking advantage of my usual local newspaper press outbursts.

A few years ago, I wrote an article in the local newspaper about decisions people should make or consider on their selections before the election. That article brought quite a lot of responses, mainly from one political party and its helpers. No problem with that, but what became very interesting, was that two of the elected candidates, left that party and went Independent within six months, then left politics altogether. Wasn't very nice reading as to why they left politics after a very short time, which of cause the political party's denied!.

And then the general public are expected to trust these very same party's.

At least in this country (so far) political assassinations (of the gun type!) are still extremely rare?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'll be voting for the only party I will ever (in all probability) vote for."

The person who cannot change his mind will never change the world either.

To be totally impervious to any sort of debate on a subject is a gross abuse of the human intellect, which is one of the things that separates us from the animals.

I was once a full European federalist, hoping to see a team under the Stars and Blue, and to hear Ode to Joy, at the Olympics.

I'm proud to say no more. Debate has changed my mind.

I was a Tory from the age of 11 (The Vermin Club) until well past my 50th birthday.

I'm proud to say I haven't voted Tory in twenty years.

My vote has to be earned, and they haven't.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

My vote has to be earned, and they haven't.

I am of the same opinion,but applied to all parties.The only reason I've been voting Green Party is there's more chance I win the lottery with no ticket than them actually win the election.There isn't a None of the Above box either.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I always vote. Many people fought hard to enable everyone to have the right to make their voice heard. However, if you do not want to vote that is also your Democratic Right.

I have long been a bit dubious about some people putting themselves up for election. Years ago I asked a candidate why he was standing for Labour when his politics were well to the right. He wanted to be elected so that he could meet, and influence, the people who mattered and, in Doncaster, there was no chance of him being elected as a Tory.

Doncaster Council got into a lot of trouble in later years and I sometimes wondered how that chap got on.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

yes just voted but remebr Camerson mum must of claimed child benefit

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014