We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

local elections

BSOD
Resolved

Likes # 0

Do you have local elections in your area on Thursday?

Will you be voting or cannot be bothered.

The wife and I will be popping down to stick an X on the forms.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Yes, we will be voting,and in a few days time will be listening to people who didn't bother to vote moaning about the people elected.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

As opposed to those who did vote and did not have their candidate/ promises realised.

I agree with fourm member's second paragraph,if it was truly about local issues i would be bothered but as in my borough were consultation is limited to infrequent meetings on a major issue and where information is restricted i will, maybe, vote in protest.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Already cast my vote last week, by post.

Like this post  
Condom

Likes # 0

I was muttering under my breathe that the lazy sods couldn't be bothered canvassing yet again when I discovered we're not having any. Bang goes my chance once again to bloody a few noses. We became a unitarian authority recently and it seems that the lot in power don't have to stand for another year. Explains why they have been taking some decisions they have knowing we can't kick them out just yet. Bah humbug and the rest:-)

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

No elections here on Anglesey. They put up our council tax by the highest amount in the UK, yet they won't give us a chance to get rid of the councillors. Reputed to be the most corrupt council in Wales, and that comes from my Welsh friends!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

In my area there are no local elections till next year, unless a councillor dies or something similar. But seeing the turn-outs that usually occur, makes a bit of a joke of it all, especially after the event, when the winning people seems to give a press conference about 'the public where all for them'. What happened to the other public 75% who couldn't be bothered?.

I have no allegiance to any party, and I think that shows when the council or councillor's make mistakes, and I vent my anger in the local newspaper, or with the local MP. Surprising how a little anger in a newspaper brings results, yet face to face brings broken promises on many occasions?.

One thing that I can never understand, is how someone can say that a councillor is very active in doing a lot for local groups in the community, yet at the same time consider that the person is of the wrong party.

In my books, anyone who is active to that extent, needs support irrespective of what party they might belong to. My own local council have had a number of councillor's who have defected to another party, due to disagreements or not toeing the party line. Other's have resigned in total disgust, or gone Independent, then found that they were 'stone-walled' by all the three main party's. Yet on election day's, the public are told that the prospective candidates have the public's interests to heart?.

Bah humbug!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'll save myself the bother of a walk in the rain(though we're not having elections here as I've received no voting recycling goods)as whenever we do have local elections the same bunch gets voted back in.The last Labour MP we had was rarely ever seen in the area,yet managed to retain his seat for over 25yrs.His descendants in the same party crash blindly from one fiasco to the next,turfing out anyone from the executive who disagrees with them.For many years I didn't vote,but now do in the vain hope my vote will get rid of the present executive(though voting for the Green Party with the worlds largest Nuclear Dustbin on my doorstep probably isn't going to get them in)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I must admit that when I e-mailed to my local councillor about my recent fiasco of BT barring me from entering my home, late on Friday, she was at my door early on Saturday morning to discuss a course of action.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I will be voting. I am also an active e-mailer to my local parish council and the local and county council usually reporting rubbish dumped in the local lanes. I have the email addresses of all the utilities stored in my address book for reporting gas leaks etc - if I don't report thing they hang around for ages, most of the reports get a polite answer very quickly. I don't have time - full time job and two horses - to do any work for the councils but think I do my bit by email.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

That's possibly the point that I was making. Any individual who is working for the community requires peoples support, and that includes party support.

There's nothing like trying to go it alone, then finding your party membership is becoming the biggest bug bear. Hence my remark, about some of my local councillor's have had to go Independent or place their allegiance with another political party.

All to often with my local council, we hear about in-party divides and favouritism, plus 'bending of rules', and the local newspaper makes a meal of this, because it shows what real politics are all about. Then the politicians and their party's ask why the public do not show interest!.

Not all that long ago, we had the expenses scandal, which led into shock and horror for the nation. Yet still today, we the public are still seeing some of the old dust being swept from under the carpet, possibly revealing further 'hidden' scandals. Yet at the same time, we the public and the press are being told 'lessons will be learned'.

They never are, and never will be, unless some very radical changes are made. And for sure they most certainly will never be in my lifetime!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone