We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would you like surface to air missiles on top of your home?

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 0

Missiles to be sited at residential flats!

It would appear from the report I have linked to that the MOD is intending to site a surface to air missile system on top of some residential flats which are within range of the Olympic park!

Now quite apart from the rather drastic consequences of having aircraft possibly engaged and shot down over east London, what are the rights of the residents of these flats with regard to the siting of this military hardware on their property? Does the MOD have to seek their permission for this installation or can they just impose it upon them? (Because I know what my answer to such a request would be!)

The other thing that strikes me about all of these draconian security measures which are going to be enforced upon the people of London for a three week sporting event is, really is it worth all of this expense? (£11 billion and counting) disruption to the life of the capital (chaos on the transport system) just for a three week jolly watching a load of people running jumping cycling and swimming!

If they really anticipate the possibility that they will have to start firing surface to air missiles over one of the most densely populated parts of eastern England then we have seriously lost our sense of priorities! Who makes the decision to fire them and based on what information?

I have a far better idea! Let's call the whole thing off!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flak999

As FE has pointed out, I see that nothing will change your mind on this, so I thank you for the thread but will not participate furthe on this matter.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Flak999

So we blow it out of the sky and have flaming debris and bodies crashing into a densely populated urban area, causing untold death and destruction on the ground! But that's all OK because the stadium is saved!

No it's not OK, but if it was an either / or situation the least worse case scenario would be to take the aircraft out before it hit a stadium full of people.

Like FE, I'm bowing out of this now.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Whats wrong with using the RAF planes?

They should bring back the Harriar

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I hate to sound offensive

Really? It's never stopped you in the past! Your condescending "i'm always right atitude" may carry a lot of weight with some members of the forum, but not with me I'm afraid. I know that you like to appear the fount of all knowledge on topics ranging from central heating to grand military strategy, but such hubris is usually a cover for something deeper!

As you say, let's leave it there! Or perhaps not, I'm sure some pithy rejoinder will be winging it's way forthwith!

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm with Flak999 on this.

I wouldn't be so paranoid if the FE didn't keep persecuting me!

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

I think in your opinion that should a scenario as you describe take place then it is better that the atrocity be committed against it s intended target rather than prevent this from happening and resulting in a concomitant destruction elsewhere by virtue of a missile strike.

What supposing that like 9/11 that more than one plane/helicopter is used/hijacked and that on seeing no defence then more areas are targeted.?

Would you not decide to act in accordance with military strategy.?

The 'rules' of engagement have changed and if this acts as a deterrence,at least for airborne assault,then the Government should be applauded for considering this proposal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wouldn't be so paranoid if the FE didn't keep persecuting me!"

Is that what I do?

I'm sorry, I'll have to do something about that....one of these days.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Once again it would appear that a reasonable discussion topic as degenerated into and with the usual grave yard air about it, that usually results in perhaps other possible contributor's steering well clear, in fear of being insulted for talking nonsense, being stupid or not having the facts, and not being able to provide a personal opinion?.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

spuds,

I fear you may be right in that assumption,it seems that as a debate becomes acerbic so the responses fall off.This thread has 1221 views and 72 replies and for an interesting and arresting topic i would have expected more replies.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

spuds, daz60

There comes a point where it is painful to bang one's head against a brick wall. One detects that no argument in rebuttal will be respected, so one may as well stop and avoid it getting personal. A forum user quit the other week over this type of thing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED