We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would you like surface to air missiles on top of your home?

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 0

Missiles to be sited at residential flats!

It would appear from the report I have linked to that the MOD is intending to site a surface to air missile system on top of some residential flats which are within range of the Olympic park!

Now quite apart from the rather drastic consequences of having aircraft possibly engaged and shot down over east London, what are the rights of the residents of these flats with regard to the siting of this military hardware on their property? Does the MOD have to seek their permission for this installation or can they just impose it upon them? (Because I know what my answer to such a request would be!)

The other thing that strikes me about all of these draconian security measures which are going to be enforced upon the people of London for a three week sporting event is, really is it worth all of this expense? (£11 billion and counting) disruption to the life of the capital (chaos on the transport system) just for a three week jolly watching a load of people running jumping cycling and swimming!

If they really anticipate the possibility that they will have to start firing surface to air missiles over one of the most densely populated parts of eastern England then we have seriously lost our sense of priorities! Who makes the decision to fire them and based on what information?

I have a far better idea! Let's call the whole thing off!

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

An aerial or google earth picture of location.

terrorist free zone?

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Lets all hope any potential terror group cannot hijack the missile sites.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Intelligence will continue to monitor all forms of communication and sift any information for the smallest hint of covert activity, but apart from this at the end of the day it is impossible to cover every possible risk. What can be done and which I understand is being done is to try to cover and have in place emergency plans for as many scenarios as possible.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Any aircraft that was flying towards our Olympic stadium would be at a far lower altitude, and may not be as large as a 747. You're posting without properly considering the facts.

How do you know? What a terrorist that seizes an airliner may or may not do is surely open to conjecture?

Any aircraft that was flying towards our Olympic stadium would be at a far lower altitude, and may not be as large as a 747. You're posting without properly considering the facts.

Again, how do you know? Just because most aircraft approaching HAL are descending and slowing down does not mean that a terrorist controlled aircraft would adopt the same characteristics. It could be a 747 or a 737 or any sort of aircraft really couldn't it?

I know because the government has publicly said so.

And you believe everything the Government choose to tell or not tell us do you?

in any case what about the proportions of the disaster if a passenger jet hit a full-to-capacity Olympic stadium?

Exactly it's a lose, lose situation. But the possibility of having to destroy a passenger aircraft over east London to save the Olympic stadium which could be evacuated is not really an answer is it? If the target is an evacuated Olympic stadium verses scattering burning wreckage and bodies over a large part of east London it's probably better to sacrifice the empty stadium. (in my opinion)

The capital is going about its business as usual, and it will continue to do so.

Is it really! I guess we will see won't we?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flack999

It is clear you will not change your view, but I disagree with it. You have consistently omitted to say what you think should be done - are you saying there should be no last ditch resort to these weapons? What is your proposal, or are you saying we should simply hope for the best? I think the subject of security as a whole is too big to discuss here, so I am specifically asking you for your suggestions re close air threat protection, bearing in mind FE and others explanation that a threat would ideally be dealt with elsewhere. As has been said, a microlight or hang glider could pose a threat, never mind a high-jacked airliner.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Flak999

But the possibility of having to destroy a passenger aircraft over east London to save the Olympic stadium which could be evacuated is not really an answer is it?

Please get your arguments straight. If a plane has got close enough for these missiles to be any use, the plane will be less than a couple of minutes away - which is not enough time to evacuate 80,000 people.

Again, if the plane is close enough for these missiles, it will be a lot lower than 31,000 feet (they have a 5.5 mile range, which is 29,040 feet)

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

That there has to be security for the Olympics is a given! It is a world wide event and as such is a magnet for anybody with a cause to publicise. Whether that is in the form of disruptive demonstrations or a full blown terrorist outrage.

You ask what my actions would be, I will tell you. There should be no last ditch resort to surface to air missiles possibly being fired over London it's just to damn dangerous! Close the airspace, ground all aircraft or divert them to other airports. By all means have the fighters and the early warning aircraft, have the snipers and the warships.

But no missiles over the capital!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

alan14

So we blow it out of the sky and have flaming debris and bodies crashing into a densely populated urban area, causing untold death and destruction on the ground! But that's all OK because the stadium is saved!

Marvellous!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think I'm going to leave this with you. I hate to sound offensive, but your posts are beginning to sound a little delusional.

I believe the government when it says there is so far no known specific threat of an airborne attack because if there was there would be every reason to tell the civilian population, and no reason not to. In the face of a known and valid terrorist threat to civilians it is a government's first duty to inform the population, and I'm quite sure that would happen. There's an ever-present danger of terrorist incidents, but that's different - we all know about it. A danger is not the same as a threat, and it's important to understand that.

Rightly or wrongly it seems to me that you're not that interested in thinking more deeply about this subject; you seem unable to stop talking about flaming debris and falling bodies, etc. Perhaps you might consider the fact that some very experienced, knowledgeable military tactical minds have been applied to the situation, and the missile question has been considered in detail. Politicians might make the decisions, but they do so having been given plenty of professional advice.

The chances of any live missiles being fired across the capital are extremely remote, and if it happens it will be because there is simply no alternative. You haven't - so far - offered a single cogent argument in favour of an alternative, and I've probably outlived my welcome on the topic. Suffice it to say that I intend to join millions of my fellow Londoners in enjoying the Olympics without worrying about bodies and flaming debris falling from the sky.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"what a disintegrating aircraft does when it hits an urban area"

Lockerbie is hardly "an urban area".

It is a normally quiet, tranquil town well to the north of the UK a long way from any major urban areas such as Glasgow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...