We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would you like surface to air missiles on top of your home?

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 0

Missiles to be sited at residential flats!

It would appear from the report I have linked to that the MOD is intending to site a surface to air missile system on top of some residential flats which are within range of the Olympic park!

Now quite apart from the rather drastic consequences of having aircraft possibly engaged and shot down over east London, what are the rights of the residents of these flats with regard to the siting of this military hardware on their property? Does the MOD have to seek their permission for this installation or can they just impose it upon them? (Because I know what my answer to such a request would be!)

The other thing that strikes me about all of these draconian security measures which are going to be enforced upon the people of London for a three week sporting event is, really is it worth all of this expense? (£11 billion and counting) disruption to the life of the capital (chaos on the transport system) just for a three week jolly watching a load of people running jumping cycling and swimming!

If they really anticipate the possibility that they will have to start firing surface to air missiles over one of the most densely populated parts of eastern England then we have seriously lost our sense of priorities! Who makes the decision to fire them and based on what information?

I have a far better idea! Let's call the whole thing off!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Flak999

(Don't know what's more worrying really, the thought of alan14 having anything to do with Olympic security or the missiles themselves!)

Less of the personal comments, you won't win an argument by hurling insults at other members.

I have nothing to do with the military preparations, I'm merely in the supply chain for some of the kit being deployed on the perimeter.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

fourm member - While not many people living north of Watford care about the games - the powers that be are thinking about the PR in the world papers.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

alan14

I do beg your pardon, but my tongue in cheek comment was hardly a hurled insult! Your post to me at 9.43pm yesterday was in much the same vein wouldn't you say?

As you say you have nothing to do with the military preparations, one wonders then how you are privy to secret information ("can't say more") regarding the deployment of navy destroyers armed with surface to air missiles!

Or have you really, just a very vivid imagination! :)

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

For the government to even consider any of the actions mentioned in this thread, I would imagine that both the government and intelligence service believe that a real credible threat exists in the run up to these games.

I watched the program last week on ch4 called the plot to bring down Britains planes. Whilst it was staggering the amount of info and work the intelligence service had. I did not agree with the way it was explained what methods they used to gather the information from the nut jobs planning these despicable acts.

It's not a price worth paying but could anybody imagine the horror if we had to take out a fully loaded airliner full of innocent passengers and the devastation it would cause on the ground. The legacy it would leave would never heal.

The only thing it might do is make the people responsible for our bloody shambles of an immigration service and the clowns who signed us up to the cracker jack human rights act, have one sleepless night before they got back to their usual way of life of allowing any body into this country. Terrorists, rapists, gangsters come on in and whilst your here if you need any legal advice while you are here, I know a bloke called Tony whose missus can help you with your legal aid.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"And there must be a threat mustn't there? Because they would not be announcing this so publicly if there were not, would they?"

I think you're getting carried away by your own enthusiasm here. Let's be clear - I said it earlier on in your thread, but I'll say it again - as of now there is no specific threat of an airborne attack on the Olympic stadium.

'They' have not announced anything publicly, as has been pointed out previously - the information was initially provided to the media by residents.

As for your melodramatic references to the Lockerbie bomb, and your statement that **"This is what we are contemplating if we are seriously suggesting shooting down aircraft over London! It's madness!"**

The madness appears to be in your total misunderstanding of the facts. Nobody is seriously suggesting shooting down aircraft over London at all - it's extremely unlikely that there will be a need for any shooting down, and if there is it would almost certainly happen well before an aircraft reached the city. The possibility that Ground to air missiles might be deployed near to the stadium is a 'last resort' precaution, and it would be madness to ignore the extremely remote chance that an aircraft of some sort might successfully evade all other forms of defence, and make it to within a few miles of the stadium.

If that happened, and if missiles were available to military commanders a judgement would be made, and it would be based on the circumstances prevailing at the time. I would not like to be in the position of having to decide whether or not to issue a 'fire' order, but someone could conceivably have to do it.

Not to provide such a last resort option would be a ridiculous dereliction of duty on the part of the MOD, and people would waste no time in pointing the finger if the worst happened.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Well I'm sorry to say, but I think your wrong! My references to Lockerbie are not melodramatic at all, they are a historical fact of what happens when a passenger aircraft is destroyed and crashes over an urban area. As to whether there is or is not a specific threat, how do you know? Are you like alan14 privy to some secret information that the rest of us don't have?

The fact that ground to air missiles are possibly going to be deployed means that they may possibly use them, in which case we would see a disaster of unmitigated proportions over London.

The whole affair is a complete comedy of errors, why we are virtually putting the capital on a war footing for a three week sporting event is beyond ridiculous!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Flak999

I can't tell you more as I've signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement regarding some equipment we are supplying for the perimeter of the Olympic village.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I've been thinking about this on and off all day, and the thing that keeps coming back to mind is an old saying that the military is always prepared to fight the last war again. The relevance here is the spectre of 9/11 that looms over the world at every turn. I think that the threat of a repeat performance is pretty small due to increased security within the industry.

No, I fear that any credible threat would come from a previously unsuspected or untried direction. I can think of a couple off the top of my head but dont wish to say anymore.

The best defence in my opinion is vigilance, not missiles. Not that I actually have any objections in principal to the latter, but in todays britain where too many people will sue for the most trivial thing it would be a brave person who would actually fire one.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"My references to Lockerbie are not melodramatic at all"

yes, they are, when made in this context. Your pasting of a description of "what a disintegrating aircraft does when it hits an urban area" relates to a 747 that was flying at 31,000 feet when a bomb exploded inside.

Any aircraft that was flying towards our Olympic stadium would be at a far lower altitude, and may not be as large as a 747. You're posting without properly considering the facts.

"As to whether there is or is not a specific threat, how do you know? Are you like alan14 privy to some secret information that the rest of us don't have?"

There's no need for sarcasm. I know because the government has publicly said so. You would know, too, if you had bothered to do any proper research.

"The fact that ground to air missiles are possibly going to be deployed means that they may possibly use them, in which case we would see a disaster of unmitigated proportions over London."

A disaster of unmitigated proportions? You don't know that, and in any case what about the proportions of the disaster if a passenger jet hit a full-to-capacity Olympic stadium?

"why we are virtually putting the capital on a war footing for a three week sporting event is beyond ridiculous!"

We're not putting the capital on a war footing, there you go, being melodramatic again. The capital is going about its business as usual, and it will continue to do so. There is no specific threat, and with luck there will not be any. If trouble comes it makes sense to be prepared for it, and that's what is happening. I'll be in the stadium at some point during the games, and I certainly don't intend to worry about disasters of unmitigated proportions. I suggest you stop doing so.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WTM

"The best defence in my opinion is vigilance, not missiles."

I agree, and I'm positive that vigilance is what is going on in the security forces at this very moment - they stand a very good chance of knowing if and when there's a specific threat, and at the moment they have said they know of none.

Vigilance will be at work in the airborne E-3D Sentry aircraft as well. They'll know if any aircraft starts to behave in a suspicious manner.

Vigilance isn't much good if terrorists evade all other protective measures and look like flying a passenger jet into a crowded stadium however - that's when ground to air missiles become pretty useful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014