We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would you like surface to air missiles on top of your home?

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 0

Missiles to be sited at residential flats!

It would appear from the report I have linked to that the MOD is intending to site a surface to air missile system on top of some residential flats which are within range of the Olympic park!

Now quite apart from the rather drastic consequences of having aircraft possibly engaged and shot down over east London, what are the rights of the residents of these flats with regard to the siting of this military hardware on their property? Does the MOD have to seek their permission for this installation or can they just impose it upon them? (Because I know what my answer to such a request would be!)

The other thing that strikes me about all of these draconian security measures which are going to be enforced upon the people of London for a three week sporting event is, really is it worth all of this expense? (£11 billion and counting) disruption to the life of the capital (chaos on the transport system) just for a three week jolly watching a load of people running jumping cycling and swimming!

If they really anticipate the possibility that they will have to start firing surface to air missiles over one of the most densely populated parts of eastern England then we have seriously lost our sense of priorities! Who makes the decision to fire them and based on what information?

I have a far better idea! Let's call the whole thing off!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flak999

I would imagine there will be a no fly zone and even more security on UK or near EU flights than usual to try to avoid a hijack. Part of the reason for announcing this is to deter such an event.

No one welcomes the idea of using such a deterrent, but what alternative do you propose other than cancelling the Games?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry - My 747 data reinforces your argument, which was not my intention!! (Keeps the debate from being personal, at least)

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

If we had to use this system then deterrence would have failed wouldn't it? I cannot imagine that the threat of SAM systems are going to deter the fanatic who wishes to die for his cause!

As for your last statement (cancelling the Games?) that idea has merit, but we have invested far to much in treasure and reputation for that to ever be considered!

(Nothing personal in the debate on my part!)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

Are you saying that we would consider bringing that aircraft down over London to avoid the Olympic stadium?

No, I'm not.

A fully loaded passenger aircraft on course for the Olympic stadium, and refusing to answer radio calls would be dealt with before it reached heavily populated areas of London. Think about it....

There's no specific threat of an airborne attack on the Olympic stadium, but no unauthorised aircraft will get anywhere near it - it will be dealt with before that can happen. We'll have Boeing E-3D Sentry aircraft airborne throughout the games, and they'll know the instant anything suspicious begins to develop. They'll scramble Typhoons - probably from RAF Waddington to intercept a suspect aircraft before it gets near London's protected airspace. They'll call it to alter course, and fly alongside to force a turn. If that doesn't work, and the aircraft continues to hold its course it will be engaged by Puma and Lynx helicopters carrying snipers - they'll attempt to take out the aircraft's engines. If that fails to stop the aircraft it will be destroyed on a prearranged coded signal from the military command and MOD ministers.

The missiles inside the protected area (they'll be Rapier missiles)are capable of long-range, high altitude strikes, and will be used if all else fails - they won't bring a passenger jet down on crowded London areas - it will happen before the aircraft gets that far.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

Forum Editor

I hear what you say, but according to the BBC quoting MOD sources the system proposed for the site at Fairfield road is a "HVM system designed to counter threats from very high performance, low-flying aircraft". Also the maximum speed of a Puma helicopter is 141 kts, a fully loaded 737 is capable of 400-450kts

I think a sniper would have a bit of a hard time achieving anything from a helicopter given those differences in speed!

Given all of that, what then is the point of deploying missiles at Fairfield road, less than a mile from the stadium if you say any incoming threat would not be destroyed over London?

Doesn't add up really, does it?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

If you are interested in viewing the information leaflet supplied by the MOD to the residents on the Lexington estate this article by the Daily telegraph has a copy at the end of it's article. Daily Telegraph missile article

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm fortunate that I live many miles from London,so any terrorist attrocity there has no consequence here.When the tube was attacked,the motorway signs on the M6 that usually warn of fog changed to warning of severe delays for travellers to London....over 400 miles away(and the M6 is still an hours drive from here,in light traffic)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flak999

So what is your suggestion re these Rapiers - do nothing?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Putting them on top of your home, presupposes that you are going to use them!"

You seem to have changed the thrust of your argument.

Your original point is whether they should be sited on top of peoples' homes.

This is as you said yourself, "quite apart from the rather drastic consequences of having aircraft possibly engaged and shot down over east London,"

You now seem to be arguing that they should not be used in London at all because of the risk of carnage on the ground.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Lets face it. Its sad reflection on modern society that it ever had to be considered in the first place.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...