We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Apprentice

Condom

Likes # 0

I don't usually watch programs like the "Apprentice" as I doubt that half the candidates would last more than a day or two in the real world. Also what has this man Sugar actually done which would make him a person anyone with any brains would want to work for? OK he came up with a goodish PC some 20 years or so ago but virtually everything he tried since then was a disaster. Remember the e-mail phone? I understand he is now a box builder for other people. Is it just me or do others think he is put up as something he really isn't?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Can't stand the show, or Sugar. He would not last 5 minutes in a major multinational with that style. No doubt an entrepreneur but very rude and lacking in empathy.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If he talked to me like that I would throw a chair at him.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Well, if you both don't like it, then why are you watching it?

I enjoy it and treat it as entertainment. I would far rather watch it then Eastenders or that Saturday night drivel "The Voice".

With the general dumbing down of TV programming these days I'm doing well if I watch more than an hour each day, and I certainly wouldn't pay for Sky or any other service. Mostly I use my TV set to watch movies from Lovefilm.

Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be more adverts on BBC than commercial channels these days? Infuriates me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Alan Sugar is a self-made multi-millionaire, and with a fortune estimated at somewhere between £750/800 million he hasn't done so badly for himself. He certainly doesn't have to worry about what people think of his business style, and I'm quite sure he realises that much of the criticism levelled at him is borne of petty jealousy.

He's undoubtedly someone with strong opinions, and can be abrasive when he wants to be - ideal qualifications for a successful TV show front man.

I imagine that he sleeps well at night, and couldn't care less what we think of him. The TV show has higher viewing figures than any other BBC1 programme, and has been bought by 32 countries worldwide.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I've never watched the show but have rapidly tired of the soundbite "Your fired" As for The Voice,I like music and this show has artists on that can make the hairs on my neck tingle.I certainly won't partake of the voting.I am really enjoying the milage various comedians are getting from The Voice,almost as much as I'm enjoying listening to the singers.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don't like it, don't watch it (or him).

However, no-one can deny his success, and his style is part of his stock in trade, like Anne Robinson, another one I don't like.

That's why people watch them, just like we used to listen, waiting for the next outburst, to old Gilbert Harding.

That's what they do, that's what they've always done.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Much as I dislike Sugar, I consider him God's gift to Public Relations compared to Trump!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It's a TV show for goodness sake - Lord Sugar and just about all the apprentices act up for the cameras otherwise it would be like watching paint dry. No, I don't like it either.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"No, I don't like it either."

Huge numbers of people do, however, and I have noticed that most of the people who I've met who say 'I don't watch it' seem to know quite a bit about the show.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

The first time I saw the Amstrad music systems, in Comet in the 1970's, I laughed out loud. The "tower" felt like a large empty box and the "seperate components" seemed to be sharing one power supply! And then I started reading stories about poor reliability. But - He turned it round, and when you look at his business over the last 40 years you have to have some respect for him.

The Apprentice is one of a tiny number of must watch tv shows for me because it is great entertainment and everything about the show screams quality, (the use of music to create tension would put many Hollywood productions to shame).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback