We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unbuntu 12 released & Updated Today ~ Most Impressed

Input Overload
Resolved

Likes # 0

Unbuntu 12 was released today & I updated from 11 on line which went extremely smoothly - I must say as I have not yet taken the pledge & denounced MS Windows being from the Devil, it really is very good ~ With added bells.

I Can see Linux being taken very seriously in the next few years, MS could certainly learn a thing or two from Unbuntu (like no logging whatsoever which can be enabled, to name but one feature) ~ If prospective users can get away from the idea you need two brains to install & use it the main hurdle will be passed ~ If I can run it anyone can!

It can also look most impressive with a little tinkering :-) I may now take the pledge ;-)

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

FE: It seems to me you are not reading the posts:

'I can see that if Microsoft continue with the Metro interface for Win 8 then a lot of users may be tempted to go over to Linux as it is now becoming more like the Windows we already know. With the Raspberry now shipping with Linux it may get the young user base that it needs to make real inroads into the mainstream markets.'

'I tend to use a portable version of Ubuntu on a USB stick, it's better than using the live CD versions as you can save settings and documents to the same stick.'

'I would happily switch to Linux,if it was going to continue to run my games with a simple click on the desktop to launch the game.I have tried(& failed)numerous times to run various games through Wine in Linux,and there has always been some issue resulting that I couldn't fathom.'

'I have recently put Linux 11.10 on a spare laptop just to try again after quite a few years. Very impressed. Gone are the old snags of trying to instal XYZ, it now just works !'

'I must admit that most of what I do these days is on Ubuntu and the only thing I use Windows for is gaming (Flight and Racing sims).'

As for 'Wildfire' it seems youu are doing a pretty good job as a man with a big hospipe ~

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"FE: It seems to me you are not reading the posts"

It seems to me that you think four or five swallows make a summer. Citing a few favourable posts from a web forum hardly qualifies as a vindication of your original "I Can see Linux being taken very seriously in the next few years" statement.

The facts speak for themselves, and I'm not going to bore everyone by repeating what I've already said. Let's wait and see what happens - if I'm wrong, and Linux breaks the mould of the past two decades please feel free to rub my nose in it, but it will have to perform some kind of a miracle to jump from a market share of around 1.5% to anything like a Microsoft-challenging percentage.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

im sticking to linux mint 12, as with ubuntu i hae had problems with firefox and you tube, and with vlc player

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Well I've tried it and as far as I'm concerned it's a bit like a toy! Something to play with and 'marvel' at but it cannot do all that I need to do within Windows so what is the point?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

octal

Thanks for that. I'll have a look for it later on today.

Incidentally, I'm running X-Plane on my iPad at the moment. Surprisingly good.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

'and I'm not going to bore everyone by repeating what I've already'

Too late I fear ~

Well it's certainly generated at least some interest on here & we all have our likes & dislikes but I find the FE's reaction(s) most intriguing? ~ But I'm calling it a day now on this thead & assume the FE will sum up ~

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, alongside Windows. (I dual boot, choosing from 2 different physical hard drives at boot) When I first started doing so it was very much as a learning exercise; I knew it existed and wanted to find out about it.

Things have changed. If I am turning on my PC just for internet based stuff I always boot into Ubuntu. It's quicker to boot, by a big margin, and feels like it runs quicker.

However, I'm not a fan, in a big way, of the new interface, and I'm having crashes with the current release and am about to try switching to Linux Mint instead.

This thread started with the premise that Linux could be taken seriously. I think it is taken seriously already, by millions of users. I don't know, (or really care!), what the actual, exact number is, but it's a big one. I would imagine that the number of Linux users exceeds those that use Adobe Photoshop, for example, and I don't suppose anyone would accuse Adobe of not being taken seriously.

However, the difference is, of course, that Linux is an Operating System, whereas Photoshop is not.

I suspect all Linux users are, so some extent "geeks". (And I do not mean that in a derogatory way!). The vast majority of folk using a computer are not.

What Windows has going for it is the fact that almost every PC sold comes with it preinstalled. Most folk don't even realise that it's not inherently part of a computer! Until that situation changes, (and why should it!), Linux, (or any other operating system), is going to remain very, very much the smaller brother.

Also, as a side point, I suspect that there are untold thousands of computer programmers who owe part of their own skill development to the Linux being as a whole!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

I recently had a dabble with Linux. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily it installed and it looked quite impressive. However, no matter what I tried (and boy, i tried hard) I could not get my USB wireless adapter to work. Various requests for help on the net were met with responses in a strange language which I could never really fathom.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

here is a bit of reading

Mint Sprints ahead woosh

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm calling it a day now on this thead & assume the FE will sum up ~"

Not me - I've said my bit already.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features