We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unbuntu 12 released & Updated Today ~ Most Impressed

Input Overload
Resolved

Likes # 0

Unbuntu 12 was released today & I updated from 11 on line which went extremely smoothly - I must say as I have not yet taken the pledge & denounced MS Windows being from the Devil, it really is very good ~ With added bells.

I Can see Linux being taken very seriously in the next few years, MS could certainly learn a thing or two from Unbuntu (like no logging whatsoever which can be enabled, to name but one feature) ~ If prospective users can get away from the idea you need two brains to install & use it the main hurdle will be passed ~ If I can run it anyone can!

It can also look most impressive with a little tinkering :-) I may now take the pledge ;-)

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I do agree in part with your thoughts but some of your points are purely conjecture & forecasts. I for one now pay little note of medium & long term forecasts (after living on planet earth for 52 years) either in government borrowing, budget country growth, petrol prices the outcome of the Euro, weather etc. & esp. the future of IT. The public are very fickle & few saw 2 years ago the present situation in PC's.

'Global tablet sales are predicted to reach around 364 million units a year by 2016'

~ A prediction not fact - It's still first quarter 2012, that prediction is a total unknown & pure conjecture.

As for the future of Apple some feel it may face decline others see more growth, few saw Samsung being the largest phone supplier two years ago, regarding Samsung just over a year ago some saw & predicted Samsung going into burnout but the opposite has occurred for now at least. (I vividly remember reading of the imminent decline of Samsung in several places) How Samsung will be doing in 2016 though for example no one has any clue.

How windows 8 will be received by the public is another large unknown, which I feel 'may' change the future of Linux - I see MS are bragging about the amount of interest in the 8 CP compared to the same situation with 7 as if that means anything at all? (I downloaded win 8 four times)

I personally feel there may be some revival in some variation of the the classic PC, I may be wrong but it's as valid as any other prediction.

'None of those devices will run Linux' - How can anyone know that?

~ Another forecast presented as fact, that is very much an unknown. I am more optimistic as to the future of Linux than maybe yourself but the point is only time will tell, we may all be very surprised, actually I feel that is the most likely outcome?

Chegs ®™ - I agree Linux is not a gamers platform.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"some of your points are purely conjecture & forecasts"

Well, your comment that "I Can see Linux being taken very seriously in the next few years, MS could certainly learn a thing or two from Unbuntu" is purely conjecture too.

My statements about the tablet market are based on fact - iPad sales are currently running at 17% of the entire PC market, that's a fact. It's also a fact that desktop sales have plummeted, and there's no good reason to think that will change anytime soon. Saying "I personally feel there may be some revival in some variation of the the classic PC, I may be wrong but it's as valid as any other prediction." isn't really valid at all - it is nowhere near as valid as the fact that there is no real reason to think people will suddenly abandon tablets and notebooks and return to boxes on a desk - why should they, when a portable device is now every bit as powerful and more versatile?

The world moves on, and the truth about the world of computing is that it doesn't - as you appear to think - move backwards.

Linux has its strong points, but it has been around for 20 years, and if it was going to make a significant inroad into the OS market it would have done so by now. That hasn't happened, and it isn't going to happen, no matter how much wishful thinking you do. People want mobile devices now, and the industry is providing them in the form of ever-more-sophisticated tablet computers, none of which are running Linux as standard.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

When you take into account that Linux is free then why isn't it more popular than Windows, which many consider is overpriced. Everybody would run a free OS if it was as good as Windows - it isn't though, not by a very long piece of schoolboy chalk.

For free I have to admit it is good, for free.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I have recently put Linux 11.10 on a spare laptop just to try again after quite a few years. Very impressed. Gone are the old snags of trying to instal XYZ, it now just works ! I'm sure if half the great British public could be persuaded to at least "Try" Linux, they would be impressed. But, back to reality, the great British public can't even be bothered to get out of bed to attend a job interview, so it's a lost cause. As with a lot of things, Linux was not developed fast enough to match the likes of MS and Apple. Anyway, quote "it wont work on my new,shiny, slidy thingie I've got like all my mates"..................

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

amonra

It's a universal truth that good news travels fast, and in the field of computer technology it travels very fast.If Linux was that good I assure you that the great British public would soon know about it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"half the great British public could be persuaded to at least "Try" Linux, they would be impressed"

Well this bit of the great British public tried it a year or so ago and I was not impressed.

On the other hand, having used Android on my smartphone and on my wife's tablet I look forward to getting it on my pc and laptop.

I will then dump Windows in an instant, but at the moment I have found nothing better.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Downloaded today and burnt to dvd, ready to take my first real plunge into Linux tomorrow. Has to wait until then, evenings are for playing Skyrim!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I must admit that most of what I do these days is on Ubuntu and the only thing I use Windows for is gaming (Flight and Racing sims).

Just getting ready for the launch of Win 8 which will finish me off with Microsoft. I will keep using Win7 for my games and Ubuntu for everything else

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

ams4127, if you like flight sims then try X-Plane on Linux, it leaves MS in the dust. That is the only reason I kept Windows, now I've found X-Plane I've dumped Windows completely.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I will then dump Windows in an instant, but at the moment I have found nothing better."

That's the point really - at the moment there is nothing better, which is why the March 2012 statistics show that around 85% of all computers are running a version of Windows, 6% are MacOS, and the remaining 9% is composed of all other operating systems.

Naturally, Linux has a dedicated following, and naturally it's market share fluctuates up and down a point or two. The fact remains however, that after 20 years it has not fulfilled the dream of dyed-in-the-wool Linux fans, and become a contender for a big market share. Various reasons are given for it, the most common of these being 'if only people would give it a try they would be convinced'.

That argument doesn't convince me, however. If Linux was so good, and so user-friendly the news would spread like wildfire, and huge numbers of people would be using it. I'm not a Linux hater, any more than I'm a Windows lover - I use the operating system that seems to me to be the best tool for the job,and at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) that is Windows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED