We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting An Example. Football

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I really enjoyed the game of football last night between Barcelona and Chelsea. But I am disgusted with the behaviour of the Chelsea captain, of all people in the way he behaved. This, from someone who is supposed to be the captain of England's football team. He should be severely punished for the offence besides the scheduled punishments such as missing future games. The type of offence he committed used to be committed by foreigners, some of their sly, off the ball nonsense was prolific in foreign teams. But to see it spread to British football in this way and not even be committed by a foreign player is just not cricket!!!! ...I hate to think how it will be copied in our everyday parks football by young children who watched last nights game. I sincerely hope he is stripped of his England captaincy for ever as well.

How the rest of the team performed under pressure like that I do not know. Congratulations to them and good luck in the final. Mind you I think Chelsea had their fair share of luck last night too. Messi hitting the bar from a penalty, he will be a long time living that one down. I also couldn't understand why they didn't change their tactics and try shooting from outside the penalty box. They didn't really put Chelsea's goalkeeper under the pressure that was required. He was quite capable of keeping the few efforts out and did so brilliantly, as expected.

But if I were the Chelsea boss I would give the captain the boot, in the form of a free transfer to Timbuktu or somewhere equally outlandish.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Bapou. That is a disgrace too. What about the actual person who captains the team in the final? EUFA need to re-assess the situation. But of course they will listen to no one except FIFA. As for FIFA, well enough said, I'm convinced they are a gang of money grabbers and nothing else. But they have got it sewn up.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

I can hardly believe I am saying this but I starting to change my mind about John Terry. The incident this week was incredibly stupid! Almost comical how obvious he made the whole thing.

But my change of mind relates to the other serious matter in his life. The incident with Anton Ferdinand. I am finding it very hard to see him as a racist. He lost his temper and I can imagine that in different circumstamces, with a different player, he might have said "you fat *%^$" or "you bald *%^$. But of course he did not say that.

I have spent my whole life challenging racist views and have met many people holding such views. In my first job I worked with guys who were plotting every day to ensure that the factory remained "all white". Those people were not accidental racists!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes