We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting An Example. Football

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I really enjoyed the game of football last night between Barcelona and Chelsea. But I am disgusted with the behaviour of the Chelsea captain, of all people in the way he behaved. This, from someone who is supposed to be the captain of England's football team. He should be severely punished for the offence besides the scheduled punishments such as missing future games. The type of offence he committed used to be committed by foreigners, some of their sly, off the ball nonsense was prolific in foreign teams. But to see it spread to British football in this way and not even be committed by a foreign player is just not cricket!!!! ...I hate to think how it will be copied in our everyday parks football by young children who watched last nights game. I sincerely hope he is stripped of his England captaincy for ever as well.

How the rest of the team performed under pressure like that I do not know. Congratulations to them and good luck in the final. Mind you I think Chelsea had their fair share of luck last night too. Messi hitting the bar from a penalty, he will be a long time living that one down. I also couldn't understand why they didn't change their tactics and try shooting from outside the penalty box. They didn't really put Chelsea's goalkeeper under the pressure that was required. He was quite capable of keeping the few efforts out and did so brilliantly, as expected.

But if I were the Chelsea boss I would give the captain the boot, in the form of a free transfer to Timbuktu or somewhere equally outlandish.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

By the way up till that point it was an enthralling game but why Barca were so subdued is really a question to be answered.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"If you get a yellow card you lose half the match fee, if you get a red card you lose the whole match fee, plus the fees for the matches during your suspension."

Something along those lines needs to be a standard feature of player's contracts. It could go further with a second red card, during the term of a player's contract, deemed to be a sackable offence with immediate end of contract.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Re-iterating on a previous post regarding football thugs masquerading as sportsmen...a jail sentence would perhaps get thru' to the thick-headed nasty boys who have ruined the good name of football.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I have only seen the Terry incident on the BBC News. I do not know how seriously hurt the opponent was. He may have been engaging in the ususal play-acting after sustaining injuries. It was, at the very least, stupid behaviour on Terry's part. His action, if not seen by officials as he presumably hoped, would be publicised by TV coverage and would have resulted in sanction.

What has disturbed me for several years are the cases of deliberate cheating, such as the Maradonna goal against England. Why should golf and snooker be the only games in which there is integrity? There have been many such examples in football where such action has determined theresult of a game where the video evidence is absolutely clear. In my view, any player committing such an act who does not immediately own up should be subject to a ban of, say, one year or more. This threat would immediately result in the virtual elimination of such incidents and could possibly even encourage a greater sense of fair play into the game.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

spuds;Knowing that we live in the same city,how long do you think some of soccer's so-called hard men would last at a Richard Cockerill training session?

For those who aren't aware of the man,he's Director of rugby for Leicester Tigers,and a former England hooker,well noted for his fearless attitude on the pitch,and lack of sympathy for"prima-donnas".

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

NewestRoyWidd1

I knew 'Cockers' and his moods very well, as well as some of the other lads. And what you say is quite true, no pussy footing with that man.

Might be worth a mention, that I was having a £3.50 haircut the other month, with Manu sitting beside me. Now hows that for not being in a prima-donna class, and more down to earth?.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees deemed to be a sackable offence with immediate end of contract.

Do you really think anyobne is going to spend 20 Mill on a player then sack him after a year so he can negotiate a nice new lucrative contract elsewhere.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Spuds;Must be large chairs at your barbers if Manu fits in them!I don't know Cockers personally,being more of the Chalky White era myself,but know that his philosophy is that no player is bigger than the club.

For readers who aren't aware of Mr.Cockerill,take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfX5G3jIXWQ

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

EUFA have now decided, should Chelsea win the Cup Terry will be allowed to accept the trophy on behalf of the club and receive a winners medal.

It's a funny old game said Jimmy Greaves years ago. There's nothing funny about this decision, more a disgraceful game these days when the ruling body can send out this kind of message.

Source

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Would this decision be called "Bringing the game into disrepute"?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback