We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water pressure

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anyone noticed a drop in their home's water pressure?

A plumber told me that the water companies (Thames Water, at least) had reduced water pressure in the mains to reduce consumption.

Our water pressure has certainly dropped, and we suspected a misfunctioning boiler. It seems that we can all expect a drop as water companies reduce pressure in the mains while we remain in drought.

According to the newspapers the driest part of England, the South East, has less water per person than Syria or the Sudan!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I live in the bottom of a valley and high water pressure was a problem until I fitted a pressure reducer now no more stopcock washer replacement or thrumming in the pipes.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I have an empty water tank in my loft, now redundant. I wonder how many other properties have the same thing because of converting to modern boilers. Perhaps some enterprising outfit could come and dismantle them all and use the metal. I think it is galvanised steel so must be useful to someone somewhere.

It is obvious that the water authorities in my area have reduced the pressure at some stage in the last twenty or so years, because although I no longer water the garden, (now on a meter), the last time I did so I noticed that the water just didn't have the reach of years ago.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Most old galvanised water tanks were installed when the house was being built - they were lifted into the loft space before the ceilings were closed, and now they won't come out through the loft hatch. They would need to be cut up, and apart from that being a laborious job, cutting galvanised metal with angle grinders or acetylene cutters can release toxic fumes.

For those reasons these tanks tend to be left standing empty in the loft when combi boilers are installed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback