We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water pressure

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anyone noticed a drop in their home's water pressure?

A plumber told me that the water companies (Thames Water, at least) had reduced water pressure in the mains to reduce consumption.

Our water pressure has certainly dropped, and we suspected a misfunctioning boiler. It seems that we can all expect a drop as water companies reduce pressure in the mains while we remain in drought.

According to the newspapers the driest part of England, the South East, has less water per person than Syria or the Sudan!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

When I moved to the area I live in now, the water pressure was what I would class as fierce. That was over forty years ago and since then there has been a steady decline in the pressure, which I have put down to an increase in the population of the area as well as a policy of the water companies to maybe, prevent leaks. The pressure is still sufficient as long as it doesn't get any less. Everything water reliant works o.k. as far as I am concerned.

Rainfall has always been enough to keep my lawn in reasonable nick. Lots of sunshine here too which has resulted in me calling it God's Little Acre. That in turn has resulted in the increase in population which has resulted in a reduction in water pressure. (Simples).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's no drought up here!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If the water pressure is reduced to a trickle from domestic taps, then when people put on a kettle of water to make tea or coffee, they will only use what is required....taking/running a bath might be a different 'kettle of fish', tho'.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I would love there to be a drop in water pressure here.I live at the bottom of a valley & to date,the pressure has destroyed 5 electric showers & has resulted in the boiler being a source of trouble.I went & bought a brand new power shower(thinking as it contains a pump,the internals would likely be strong enough to withstand the pressure)to replace the previous electric one on which the various plastic chambers had simply shattered,once fitted the power shower emitted a hissing when the water supply was turned back on & as I had the cover off checking for leaks I was able to watch a seal creep up the pipe until it popped.I returned the until & was given a replacement(thinking it might be a faulty unit)only for the replacement to do exactly the same(drenching me for a 2nd time)I changed that unit for another brand,only for the next unit to fail in a different plastic part & its replacement to simply shatter internally the first time used.Several years later & I've had to struggle in & out the bath as showers cannot be fitted.The boiler contains pressure sensing devices,the numerous fitters we've had come to repair it have always had to replace one of these devices.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

My son, living in La Belle France, tells me that the water pressure there is so great he had to install a pressure limiting device to prevent damage to other fittings. Is this not a solution here in cases where the pressure is too great?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™ we lived at the bottom of a valley in Devon for many years and had one water surge that wiped out a lot of stuff and flooded the bathrooms. South West Water promptly fitted a pressure reducer in the road outside the cottage and we had no trouble thereafter. A call to your water authority might pay dividends for you.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

".. has less water per person than Syria or the Sudan!"

Could be a lot to do with the differences in population density between the UK and these countries as well.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

reducing pressure- could be an attempt also to reduce leaks and bursts.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Dug around a bit on the question "Are water companies reducing water pressure because of the drought".

Apparently water companies can and do use pressure management as one form of leakage control, while being subject to delivering a minimum standard of service (DG2) in the pressure at the customer's tap.

The water pressure is routinely turned down overnight in a lot of areas to reduce both leakage and energy use. When there's a big fire with lots of pumps sucking at the mains it's normal for the Fire service to call the water company and request more pressure.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I hope it goes no lower.

If we flush the lavatoty the power shower cuts out!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia