We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you a sesquipedalian?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Well, are you - are you someone who is inordinately infatuated with polysyllabic obfuscation?

Perhaps not, but if you're young do you accept the view of this man who thinks that "younger people are coming to rely on search engines to do their thinking for them. The end result of this will be a standardisation of understanding itself, as people become unable to think outside of the box-shaped screen."?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, regarding my answer of N/A to your second question - are 'oldies' now being asked to comment?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

This site will generate gobbledegook if you are a corporate anorak. Plain English Society

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

jb, thanks for that link - a definitive example of functional strategic programming.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Making words longer does not necessarily make them either better or more meaningful. America again I know but it quickly spreads - I just received this in an email from my (well educated?) grandson: 'I've just gotten back from the gym and.....'

That 'gotten' is getting everywhere, I don't know about you but it makes me cringe every time I hear or see it. It's so ugly.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Snec

I don't think anyone is suggesting that long words are 'better''. The truth however, is that when a word is appropriate, or more likely to convey a precise meaning, there's an advantage to using it. The problems arise when those who hear or read the word don't understand it.... Which brings us neatly back to my earlier comments about vocabulary. The wider it is, the more likely you are to know what's being said or written.

The alternative is a world in which conversations are stilted, and books,newspapers and magazines are bland, dumbed down products, devoid of any flair.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Snec.

I think the word "gotten" is fine and I also think it has been in the English language longer than the USA has been in existence. (that's only my guess) It sounds like very old English to me. The americans tend to use older English words for some unknown reason. Maybe they like them?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

When I was translating manufacturers' manuals into "MoD-ese" I can remember taking one writer to task for saying that a certain feature formed a "torus" around the nose of a torpedo (a torus is generally a moulding around the base of a pillar, particularly classical).

He was most indignant when I translated this as a "flotation collar", which is exactly what it was.

I had nothing against the linguistic capability my comrades in arms, but I couldn't see the average Navy or RAF bombhead wanting much to do with toruses!

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Bingalau,

You may be right, I don't know but, whoever owns the word, it is being used more and more and it's damned ugly. Here's another one- 'I've been burglerized' instead of burgled?

I also have a love for Old English btw.... my favourite Old English word is 'Grobian.' I can insult people with that and they don't really know how cross to be ;o)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I love big long words...tintinnabulation...is one of my favourites...I never 'mince my words'...so I am definately a 'squiddely diddely'.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - You're definitely something.

But what?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'