We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you a sesquipedalian?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Well, are you - are you someone who is inordinately infatuated with polysyllabic obfuscation?

Perhaps not, but if you're young do you accept the view of this man who thinks that "younger people are coming to rely on search engines to do their thinking for them. The end result of this will be a standardisation of understanding itself, as people become unable to think outside of the box-shaped screen."?

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I wouldn't claim to be a sesquipedalian, however, I have, whilst at work, been accused of "using a lot of long words"! I should point out that I was working in Hartcliffe, in south Bristol, at the time. Not an area noted for great academic accomplishment.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Words fall in and out of fashion and usage all the time, and a stubborn insistance of using outdated and/or obsolete words in a non technical enviroment defeats the very object of language, which is the communication of ideas and information.

link

WTM

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Sounds like someone is overwhelmed by the exhuberance of their own verbosity.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

1. No

2. N/A

Like this post
mafiosi

Likes # 0

I'm taking something for it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

That's a negative in the current situation.

Indubitably

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'll get back to you when I've Goggled it.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'll get back to you when I've Goggled it

Beer goggles, presumably :)

WTM

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

No, I am a staunch Evertonian!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I blame the spell checker, I've now put Googled in the dictionary!

But beer goggles may well be the order of the day at the cricket club bash tonight:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......