We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic challenge for Air traffic controllers

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

According to the BBC 'Around 700 extra airliners and more than 3,000 executive jets are expected to fly in and out of airports in the South East for three weeks before, during and after the Olympics.'

That's a lot of extra traffic in an area which is already operating at near its upper limit where take-offs and landings are concerned.

The big worry (apart from the obvious one) is that private aircraft will stray into the temporarily expanded controlled air space, and give RAF response pilots a real challenge in terms of 'is it or isn't it?' when trying to decide about terrorist threats. Kevin and his wife, out for a quick spin in the Cessna, might be in for a nasty shock as a couple of Typhoons come bucketing towards them at low altitude.

Hey ho, we live in interesting times.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I don't recall this problem the last time they were held in London. It may have been better to have held the games in the midlands of course. Then there would be the added capacity of some more airports such as Manchester, Liverpool and even Birmingham. Not to mention the London airports and Luton etc. But then those poor southerners would have had to travel too. Of course the big thing being that large amounts of dosh would have ended up elsewhere than in the coffers of the southern softies. (I will put my wooden spoon away now0.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

RAF Northolt and other RAF bases maybe used 4 the private aircraft???

What about the ones they have closed down u know the old airfieds

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

So, you're flying to London specifically to see the Olympic games, and the host nation tells you that you can't land at heathrow - instead you can land at "Glasgow, Paris, Edinburgh, Dublin, Manchester, take your pick"

Thank goodness you're not in charge of organising the event.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It may have been better to have held the games in the midlands of course."

For that to happen it would have been necessary for a Midlands city to have staged a successful bid for the games.

As for us "southern softies", we Londoners of course are the ones who will be paying more than anyone else for staging the games, and we're the ones who will face weeks of hell on the roads and public transport systems as we try to get on with our lives during the games.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

finerty

You're missing the point.

It would cost huge amounts of money to restore disused RAF bases for use by modern jet passenger planes, to say nothing of the increased air traffic control facilities that would be needed.

RAF Northolt is a secure operating base for the military fighter aircraft that will provide rapid response to any airborne security alerts, and the last thing they want is a lot of private aircraft movements. In any case, Northolt is well inside the increased controlled airspace that will extend up to thirty miles around the city.

Not all the inbound private flights will use heathrow, some will land at Gatwick and other airports in south-east England.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have deliberately booked my summer holidays outside of the "olympic window" specifically to avoid the mass influx and exit of those who want to partake in the extraordinary waste of money taking place this summer!

Personally speaking, I will be heartily glad when the whole circus is over, what a waste of £11 billion pounds!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

farnborough, hampshire is the hub for executive jets for london with loads of parking and landing slots.

dipolomatic jets may well use northolt.

charter flights,to gatwick,luton,manston lydd,southend, standstead, also farnborough could take charters on small scale, de-mothball lasham perhaps. all in South East.

any influx of cessna type flights to biggin hill,fairoaks,denham,redhill.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It can't be deemed as a huge loss of 11 billion until after the games. Myself I think it will be a huge success.

But it would have been even better had it been staged oop north. I'm not a great lover of Manchester or Birmingham but whoever decided their bid wasn't good enough was probably a Londoner.

The extra money lost by the people of London and its environs will be well recovered. Hotel prices will escalate. Ice cream vendors, hot dog vendors and other racketeers will make their proverbial bomb. I can even picture the old fashioned spivs with their arms full of imitation Rolex's. God knows what the pubs will charge for beer etc., and as for taxi's well enough said.

You can tell I am not a lover of London too can't you?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Londoners don't decide who stages the Olympics, that's done by the International Olympic Committee.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"any influx of cessna type flights to biggin hil"

In terms of movements I understand that Biggin is already one of the busiest airfields in the UK.

Could they take an influx?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes