We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Goodbye Bert Weedon.

canarieslover
Resolved

Likes # 0

Died today aged 91. The passing of an inspiration for many guitarists. No doubt his Guitar Tutor books will continue to inspire for many years to come. Death of a Legend

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bert made playing the guitar achievable for thousands of budding musicians. He was/is a 'silent hero' for many who followed his tecniques.

He came across as a very nice man.

BYE BYE Bert.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

As been previously stated, Bert Weedon was the inspiration of many potential guitar player. I know my mates and myself at the time were. Could also possible say that he was an icon for one particular guitar, which many people wanted at the time, and perhaps were able to purchase through those newly introduced hire purchase agreements.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Clapton and McCartney are two who are reputed to have started off with his "Play in a Day" course.

What an epitaph.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The passing of an inspiration for many guitarists."

One of whom was yours truly. It was one of Bert's books that started me on my life-long love affair with the guitar. Not that I've achieved much in that direction, apart from having a lot of fun.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

I remember years ago listening to the then Radio 1 DJ Mike Read learning guitar on the radio during his breakfast show. Bert Weedon used to go into the radio station to teach him live on the show.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

When growing up,my Mother was determined I should learn to play an instrument,first the cello,then the trombone as I despised the noises I made on the cello.The trombone soon joined the cello as a hated instrument,and I assumed that would be it musically.Several years passed & out of the blue,I arrived home from school to be told I was going for guitar lessons that evening.I was taken to an old mans house,given 50p to pay for the lesson and told I'd be collected in an hour.The old man used Berts books to teach me,as well as writing the notes on the sheet music and I learnt to play guitar very quickly.I used to enjoy my weekly lessons & looked forwards to them greatly,and was quite upset when my tutor died.It would probably be 40yrs ago I was taught but I reckon I could soon pick up guitar playing again if I had a guitar thrust into my hands.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

Bert Weedon knew that those first three chords are the key to everything. Once you have those, you are hooked.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...