We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What a Difference a Day Makes

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Do Politicians remember the old songs?

Twenty Four Little Hours!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I wonder how many people have got richer and wiser on the procedures this person, and many others like him, have gone through?.

And please don't tell me about his (or their) Human Rights, because I tried the Human Rights angle once, following published governmental procedures with my local council (government), and they were not in the least interested.

Once again, it would appear that our politician's and expert legal teams are out of touch with basic facts or reality. Statement one day, correction the next?.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"*"Abu Qatada" Is that what this thread is about?"*

I thought it was about the Home Secretary (or her dept) being unable to count the days in a month properly, seemingly because it was a Leap Year.

And we trust these people to rule us! Give me strength.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I think the home secretary has got it wrong, the time limit for application of appeal is stated as 3 months from the date of judgement.

The ECHR originally blocked Abu Qatada's deportation to Jordan on 17 January.

As I understand it that makes the deadline midnight on 17 April. The appeal was lodged at 22:00 on 17 April.

Nothing to do with leap years or counting days, 3 months from 17 Jan is 17 Apr!

I will not comment on his presence in the UK as it would be removed from the thread.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I believe the wording states that the 3 months period begins after the day of judgement not on the day of judgement!

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

For a person that generally hates the UK and the normal Uk way of living, he is trying hard enough to stay here.

I would not take him to court or give him the benefit of a trial. I would just throw him out of the country as a threat to national security. The European court of Human Rights is a pain in the arse.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

al's left peg. That is exactly how most of us feel but when you sign up to an agreement you sign up to an agreement. Full stop.

What annoys me is that other countries ignore the fact that they have signed something and do just what they like. So why shouldn't we?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

So why shouldn't we?

Possibly for the same reason why illegal immigrant's travel through various countries, so as to settle in the UK. Mostly with the help of our fellow Europeans.

I could be very wrong though?.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

We must surely rename it to the European Court of Terrorist Rights.

Like this post
heymin

Likes # 0

Surely Italy's got a better idea and worth 21,000 euros too. I believe France have done this too.

Italian expulsion

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Ms May could simply have waited 24hrs & avoided the resulting uproar.She(or her advisors)chose not to & now we're lumbered with this man for goodness knows how much longer.His lawyers are treading on thin ice,why wait until the last possible moment to appeal?Particularly,as was stated many times in the media he hasn't a hope in hell of an appeal even being allowed.As our FE regularly says "dancing on the head of a pin"

If (as stated above)Ms May is trying to show the court in a bad light,why not instead simply ignore the courts ruling and boot him out the country?The fine would be less than the combined wages of all those arguing for/against his deportation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers