We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you use water companies insurance?

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

With every water bill I receive from Anglian Water I get a letter imforming me that should I suffer a water leak on my property the cost of repairs could run into £1000s. These letters are immediately shredded as this is covered by my home insurance.

Just seeing this artical in the Telegraph Water Leaks made me wonder if any members of this forum have taken out these insurance policies with their water suppliers

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spuds - I hope I have only to pay a 75 pounds excess...it's the first insurance claim I have made in my life...but the outer skim of the building is starting to 'BUBBLE' ie the rendering is starting to disintigrate...I might be 'bubbling' at the cost of future repairs. :-[

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

AitchBEE If you have a claim for the drain-duct accepted you may not be able to claim for any further damaged by the same cause. Read the small print!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

thanks wiz-king, wildo.

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

I had a blocked drain last year. Rang my insurance company on Friday afternoon. Contractor arrived in less than an hour. Cleared blockage and cleaned manhole and cover. Made sure flows from toilet, kitchen and bathroom were satisfactory. No charge as it was below the cost of when I would have to pay.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I am responsible for over eighty metres of 1.5 inch galvanised water pipe on my property. It was installed in 1959 and I have aleady had two leaks fixed. I do not mind the insurance but I will have another shufti at my insurance policy.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don't forget that Aitchbee is in Glasgow.

No water companies up here, still a public utility, in effect

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I didn't think I was but the name Homeserve rang some bells somewhere so I dug into our filing system and I found that her indoors had signed up with them via Severn Trent while I was away. Will do some further research tomorrow with a view to cancelling but I think it is a one off annual payment so I might have to wait a while.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

i remember years a go we had leak in the garden, friend came by too out a large hammer and whacked the copper pipe, and the leak stopped.

This was way back in the 70's.

Ive never take this type of water insurance out and its a bit of scare mongering from the water companies 4 u to pay more money when you don't have to.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This subject was on BBC1 Watchdog this evening. It seemed to be a case of save your money?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I should have perhaps also mentioned that British Gas came in for a bit of stick, regarding their boiler protection insurance scheme. Apparently one person was quoted well over £3000.00 because the boiler could not be repaired. A local plumber/heating engineer did the required repair for less than £100.00. Other people in the program that were interviewed, had similar problems with British Gas regarding repairs.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED