We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you use water companies insurance?

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

With every water bill I receive from Anglian Water I get a letter imforming me that should I suffer a water leak on my property the cost of repairs could run into £1000s. These letters are immediately shredded as this is covered by my home insurance.

Just seeing this artical in the Telegraph Water Leaks made me wonder if any members of this forum have taken out these insurance policies with their water suppliers

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Will this be the next PPI type compo vehicle for solicitors?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No

what I've saved over the years of not paying over inflated insurance costs has more than covered the costs of any repairs.

This year I find that the water company is now responsible for the pipework right up to my stopcock in the house.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You may find that the offer actually comes from someone like HomeServe and not the water company themselves. No doubt someone will get a commission from this?.

Recently, responsibilities for pipework and leaks changed, and it became more favourable to the customer. Regarding household insurance,check your policy, some home insurance companies have tightened up their terms and conditions of water leakage and damage.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s comment of responsibility right up to the stopcock in the house cheers me a lot, and confirms my belief too, that this is one more instance of unnecessary insurance.

My father was honest and very meticulous with all financial matters. A little more home-spun over insurance saying to me that "You can insure yourself out of business."

Like extended warranties there is a point at which such cover is just money thrown away.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Anglian Water are using similar scare tactics to those used by British Gas. Anything that may be at risk of occurring is labelled as being a high cost or lethal component.

This all seems to have started when many of our utilities became owned by foreign bodies and appears to be another sales invention imported from across the herring pond.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"the water company is now responsible for the pipework right up to my stopcock in the house."

I would carefully check that. In my area their responsibility is only up to the join of your supply to the main (water and drains), and this is normally at the pavement area, all the pipework (and drains) from the pavement stop valve to the house is your responsibility.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Ofwat outlines the various responsibilities here: watercarryon :) TC.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have just phoned up my building insurance company regarding a collapsed 'drain duct' repair...and I am hopeful that I will be covered for the costs...approximately 360 quid.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

I hope the claim doesn't come under subsidence. If so, then expect to cough up an excess of £1.000.00 ;o)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You may well find that the cover offered is already provided by your house insurance or can be obtained from them for less than that offered by the water companies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination