We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Increase in Broadband speed

throver

Likes # 0

I continue to fume over the constant boasts ,by many,of the roll out of high speed broadband.Some of you should try living up here in Caithness where speeds of well under 2mb are common.I have no landline and enjoy speeds many times the cable values using my mobile dongle.The underlying ethos of the push is profit,justifiable,from a large customer base in the large city centres-but don't,please,let the goody goody aspect hide the dearth of rural services.You may gather that I am just past the flower of youth,but should still like to see a reasonable service for the countryside.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Move house.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

throver, I use a mobile dongle (1gb /month) and also a software product called Onspeed (£25 per annum) which enhances the speed and also the amount of browsing you can do per month. I have just renewed my subscription to December 2014.

I highly recommend it to dongle users. (I got a 30% discount 'cos I've used it for (ten) years. (£17.99)

I use it for my dial-up connection as well.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Here in rural cumbria,my BB speeds have varied from bits per second to just over 10Mbs/p/s once.My present wired connection runs about 5Mbs/p/s average,but suffers from no connection issues often.I don't get perturbed by these disconnections as my mobile phone is easily hooked up to my PC and I get up to 8Mbs/p/s with no losses.I often see articles in the local press stating we're getting superfast broadband trials taking place with a view to imminent roll-out,but I'm not going to hold my breath as by the time it arrives,4G will probably be available & that (from what I've heard)will make my present wired connection seem like dial-up in comparison.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have just noticed today that my local box has got itself a mate with the word fibreoptics on it. I wonder if this is a sign that my speed might soon be on the up..that is if they let SKY have access to it.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

u could try 3 broadband dongle, i use to be with them but times have changed, some claim to be fast and not, its when i changed my operating system from windows 7 to linux mint things went turbo. i mean really turbo flying.

Like this post
throver

Likes # 0

Replying to finerty it is a 3 dongle I have and get rather better than the 148k my neighbour gets .Iknow the value becausethat used to be my access point.Throver

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features