We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Iron

Shopgirl

Likes # 0

Hello Can I have views on the following: 1: How can I clean the surface of my Iron. When I have finished Ironing my garments my iron needs cleaning. I know not to use a brillow pad on it as it scrathes the surface. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Like this post
Earthsea

Likes # 0

Our iron is our go-to tool to turn wrinkled and rumpled clothing into pressed and perfect outfits. But figuring out how to clean an iron, that can be the hard part. These simple steps can help turn that scaly stained iron into a useful tool.

Difficulty: Easy Time Required: 15-20 minutes

Here's How:

Read the user manual. Reading your user manual with give you a good idea of how to care for your iron. After reading it, you'll know if your iron requires distilled water, or descales itself. Take a moment and read the manual.

Clean inside of the iron. To clean the inside of a steam iron, you'll need to know if your iron automatically descales water using a replaceable filter. Make sure to replace your filter on the recommended schedule. Other irons may need to be descaled manually. Pouring a mix of one part water and one part vinegar into the water chamber of the iron and steaming it out will work wonders. Repeat a second time with plain water.

Clean non-coated sole plates. For non-coated irons, you can use baking soda or even a metal polish cleaner to clean the sole plate. For sole plates that need a little extra help, extra fine steel wool can be used as a last resort.

Clean non-stick sole plates. For non-stick coated irons, clean with a soft cloth, warm water, and mild detergent. Always wait until your iron is completely cool and unplugged. Never use an abrasive cleaner. Abrasives will wear away the coating on your iron.

Tips:

If plastic has been melted on your sole plate, it can be removed. Place a piece of aluminum foil on the ironing board and sprinkle it with salt. Ironing over the salt and foil will help loosen the plastic. Never try to scrape the plastic off with metal tools. It may permanently damage the sole plate. If the vent holes of your iron have become clogged with starch or buildup, cleaning them with cotton swabs dipped in a 1 to 1 ratio of water and vinegar can help clean the holes. What You Need

Vinegar Mild dish soap (non-stick sole plates) Clean cloth Baking soda (non-coated sole plates) Metal polish (non-coated sole plates) Water Fine Steel Wool (non-coated sole plates) Aluminum foil (for plastic removal) Salt (for plastic removal) Suggested Reading Clean a Washing Machine Laundry Products and Tools Shortcuts for 10 Household Chores Suggested Reading Soft Drink Stain Removal 15 Minute Bedroom Cleanup Syrup Stain Removal Stain Removal for Syrup

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Good advice above, or you could just do what my wife does, buy a new one. They never seem to last much more than a year in our house.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I sometimes have a job removing the charcoal from inside ours. But while it still works I make her use it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Bingalau I believe you can get ones you put on them new-fangled gas stoves - does away with the messy charcoal. Would give her indoors more time to clean your bicycle.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It's a tandem and she does all the pedalling too..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia