We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Money - what would you do? Hypothetically.

exdragon

Likes # 0

After watching Syndicate last night (group of workmates won £18 million on the lottery), we were discussing how we would apportion some of the winnings to the family. So, say you (on your own or with one partner, no syndicate) won - for the sake of argument - £20 million, how would you share it with your family?

On one hand, one daughter/son in law/granddaughter and on the other, one daughter/four grandchildren and three partners/four great grandchildren.

I don't mean giving money to charity, cats homes or whatever - just your immediate family.

As I said, totally hypothetical, unfortunately!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

What would I do? Share with family then emigrate.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One thing seems to be a common factor as far as I can tell. What you say/think you would do with the money when you won it is not necessarily what you actually do when it happens.

I worked with someone for years, and he and I often talked about our plans for a big win. Then one day - about three years ago actually - he won £4.5 million on the lottery. Yes, he gave money to his children, but not huge amounts. Yes, he bought a top of the range luxury car, but six months later he traded it back to the dealer and opted for a much smaller car. His wife refused a new car altogether, saying she was very happy with her five year old model.

I talk to him on a regular basis, not to ask for a loan, but to see how he's doing. His life is fine, he has a nice house, lots of holidays, etc., but he says most of his dream plans haven't been actioned - he's just living a quiet, secure life.

It's obviously a lot different with a really big win - £20 million is a very serious pile of money. My children would certainly benefit to quite a large extent from a win that size. Otherwise it would be a new house, a new car each, and long trips to sunny places - total relaxation and not a single worry about a bill, ever again.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I would firstly buy my son a house and give him some funds to invest for his future. I would then consider my duty done and be free al last to do what I want and where I would live and who I want to be with or not as the case maybe. I would continue doing some kind of work, perhaps what I am doing now but on a much smaller scale.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Ok, but would you give both daughters the same? One has one child, the other has 4 plus all the 'extras'. The same sum to all the grand children, aged from 14 to 29? What about the babies - all under 18 months? Same amount as their parents?

We're talking purely cheques at the moment, cars and houses may well be up to them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Tax man would want his share if you go over the limit of what you are allowed to give away each year and they would have to pay tax on their received gifts.

tax implications to giving money away

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

No Brainer first thing go abroad and get this dam arm chopped off. Then take my wife on along holiday which she really deserves after putting up with me lke this for nearly 3 years. Massive advertising to make sure everybody in this country is aware of what RSD/CRPS is even if it takes a million Children £250000 House each Set up accounts with 1 million in each so they they got £2000 a month each from it. Grandchldren £1.25 million in trust funds, allowed to take .25 on their 18th or later to buy house and £2000 per month. Thats 16.25 million. Massive advertising to make sure everybody in this country is aware of what RSD/CRPS is even if it takes a million None of the children are actually mine That leaves around 2.5 million fr us.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Like FE says,won't really know until/if it happens but family comes first then one or two very close friends.Then invest some for the future and give some for individual charitable concerns like the young Chinese chappie who needs surgery for his horrific burns.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Set aside 30% of the win to share with family, aportion equally amongst all members of immediate family with grand children's shares being put in trust until they are 21.

Buy holiday home in Cala D'Or, Majorca. Do the usual upgrades to house and cars back here. Get top notch season ticket for Celtic Park.....and probably just squander the rest on wine, women and song (and hoping the wife only finds out about two of those :-) )

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I live close to the young couple that won 45 million recently.

They still live in the same house (not for sale yet), drive the same old car, all they have done so far is have a good holiday. That's not even used any where near the £40,000 a week interest the money must be earning.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps not the answer, but I recall many years ago, when £75.000.00 was a massive win on the weekly football pools. A neighbour of mine at the time won such an amount.

What he did, was give both his grown up kids an equal pot, irrespective of how many children they had, so that they could purchase a house, possibly a car, with a little left over. He then went to the local working man's club, of which he had belonged to for many years, and made many friends there, and 'opened' the bar for free drinks for a hour or so, to those present on the Friday evening. He and his wife, then left the neighbourhood, set themselves up elsewhere, providing for their own remaining days in what they had always wished and hoped for.

But as perhaps previously been stated, winning is one thing, spending wisely is perhaps another?.

I myself have a number of charities that have been there for me at times of need, and they would receive a larger amount of funding, to that what will already come their way on my death. The rest who knows, I have yet to win anything worth considering as a major surprise, but one day I might need to really consider how to be able to give money away, or provide for some lesser being?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......